Tiger Lilly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nicole leblanc, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole leblanc

nicole leblanc New Member

I just adopted a kitty with juvenile diabetes. New to the group. New to testing, but I am in school for veterinary technician. Tiger Lilly isn't the nicest kitty in the world so we shall see how easily we can test and treat. I did get my first bg test from her yesterday, I was very surprised how easy it went. Wish us well, and keep us in your thoughts.
    Thank you,
    nicole

Sharon14 and AmandaE like this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! There's lots of folks on here with tons of diabetes experience. We are here to help!

3. nicole leblanc

nicole leblanc New Member

Thank you,
    your kitty looks a lot like mine. She came from PA but I picker her up in NJ.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your new fur baby!

Lots to learn, but great support here. Great you are in vet tech training!

Glad to hear you had success with testing, sometimes that is half the battle.

The yellow stickies at the top of each board have a lot of great info.

Food choice is also important for controlling diabetes. Wet low carb (under 10%) is highly recommended for diabetic kitties. If currently on high carb (wet or dry) transition to low carb needs to be made gradually as food change can significantly reduce glucose levels and insulin likely may need lowering with food transition. We can help with that if needed.

One thing that would also help is if you can set up a signature with particulars like your kitty’s weight, diagnosis date, type of food, other health conditions, type of insulin, etc. this will help other members to answer your questions and not have to repeatedly ask about the basics of your cat.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished

You can post future health related questions to the main Health forum. There are also specific insulin forums with knowledgable folks for what type of insulin you are using. This is mostly an intro area. :)

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I love her name, and the little defiant look in her eyes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.