Tigger 2/24 AMPS 523 PMPS 427 Higher at +2?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mdmelvin1128, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Tigger seems to be doing well, feeling good. I haven't been able to get a lot of numbers the last few days, it's been kind of hectic around here. We are still getting high preshot numbers. I upped his dose .5U, not sure if that was the right way to go or not. Hopefully someone here can help me with dosing. I should be home this afternoon, so I plan to get a test at +5, +6, and +7 to find his nadir.

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Tigger 2/24 AMPS 523

Hi Mandy,
    I'm surprised that Tigger went so high after you had that nadir of 89. I can understand why you raised the dose on the 501 - it would have gotten a reaction from me too. It's possible the high numbers you are seeing now is because of too much insulin, but I'm not sure. Is there a possiblity that Tigger could have some kind of infection? That would trigger higher numbers.

Hopefully others with more experience will be here to help soon.

3. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

See, that's where I'm confused too, his preshots are so high, but he comes down nicely during the day. I'm so new to this that I don't know if i need to increase or decrease. He just came from the vet a week ago, no infection that I'm aware of.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Any chance you can put together a profile? It will help others help you better.

I'm sorry I haven't been following you guys. I need to know all the requisite info. Food, feeding, how long you guys have been on the right food if you are on the right food etc.

Instructions can be found here:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531

It also seems that you might be getting a little bit of the yo-yo. What do you think about using U-100 syringes? They would help you dose more consistently in smaller increments and hopefully avoid so much yo-yo.

5. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Ok, profile made, hope that helps.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I would probably try 0.75u or 0.8 for a few cycles and see if that evens things out more. You have at least one early low (71 at an early spot check) on 1 unit, so I suspect it could actually be just a hair too high a dose, at least once you have overlap working in your favor. If you get decent nadirs on a lowered dose but the PSs are still high, I'd consider trying to catch him a little bit earlier - maybe a +10 or +11 and if he is already high shoot then to head off higher #s, rather than raising the dose.

He looks to me to get a good response from the 1u, just either a little reboundy perhaps, or might be not enough duration right now on 12/12. I'd probably go with slighty lowered dose (w/daily ketone checks) for a few days at 12/12 as a first step though. I agree moving in 0.2u increments at this point seems warranted - you are in the fine-tuning zone I think... yay!

7. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try lowering down to .8U tonight. I'll switch to 100U syringes to make it easier to dose.

8. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

9. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Re: Tigger 2/24 AMPS 523 PMPS 427

Well, tonight I went ahead and shot .8U, just tested at +2 and he is 467. 40 points higher than his preshot. Usually at +2 he is considerably lower than preshot. Is this normal because of the decrease in insulin?

10. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

One test does not a curve make. :smile:

We'll see where things end up. H was having some of that action recently. I think there were couple of things at play: getting used to a new insulin and potentially not enough insulin. But please do not take that as me saying a higher +2 means not enough insulin.

Unless Tigger really zooms off at then end of cycles [or goes too low] I think the normal intro advice here would be to stick with a dose for at least a few cycles. But the choice is your ultimately. 1.5 to 0.8 is a pretty large dosing change so it could take a couple cycles at least for that change to resolve itself.

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Tigger 2/24 AMPS 523 PMPS 427

The +2 can have a lot to do with the previous shot & overlap from that, though it depends on when one's cat has onset (PZI generally doesn't start working til at least after +1.5 if I remember right). You had major zoom leading into that shot, so his #s probably continued to climb even after the shot until the PZI kicked in. So even if they might have dropped some by +2 it still wouldn't look like much, even on a slightly higher dose.

In contrast, if you go back to something like 2/18 where you had that awesome PMPS of 187, it looks like you had good overlap and so the new dose was kicking in by the time the old one wore off. You didn't have much zoom going on, and hence you got the possibility of a lower # by +2 due to the overlap more so than to the dose you shot that night.

Beyond that though, the 0.8u did look pretty feeble :sad: though as Gator said you can't really judge by one cycle, especially if that cycle had a touch of rebound in it from the last one (not saying for sure it's rebound, just a possibility). You might try a skinny 1u - just on the low side of the line. My concern is the drop on 1u being so steep at times - with PZI ideally you want a drop in the 50 - 65% or so range, and it looks like at times on 1u you are getting a lot more punch than that. Some of the higher PSs could be an indication of a drop too steep causing a little rebound, but I don't know for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.