Tigger 2/25 AMPS HI PMPS HI

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mdmelvin1128, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Preshot this AM was HI, he seems fine, eating and drinking well. I haven't gotten a chance to test for ketones yet. I went ahead and went back up to 1U this morning. I just can't handle those really high numbers, they scare the crap out of me.

2. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

Re: Tigger 2/25 AMPS HI

have you checked your meter with the control soln lately?

3. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Honestly this relion didn't come with any control solution, so the answer would be no. I just checked him again 1.5 after shot, and he's at 412.

4. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

MD, I am no pro by any means with this ProZinc, and I am going through my own quirks with it, but my question to you is why did you drop the dosage from 1.5U, down to .80 last night? I have been getting 400 readings too, but when they are that high, I have been staying on purpose with same dosage and not giving less...Were you worried about rebound?

5. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

6. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

As Joanna mentioned it seems you are in the fine tuning stage of things. I'm still suspicious that 1u is too much just by the drop from HI to 412 at +1 this morning. I'd be curious to see what 0.9u looks like. So it's just going to be a matter of finding out what in between dose works. Remember when you really fine tune in on things you can easily dose in .1u or perhaps even "0.05u" increments. Also I'm not sure if the 0.8u was the first time you had used the U-100 syringes but syringes even from lot to lot can have minor variations in their measurements. So the idea here is to stick with the U-100s if that is what you have done and don't go back and forth between u-100 and u-40.

I bet the reason Joanna suggested going to 0.8u is because of Tigger's reaction to 1u on 2/18, 2/19 & 2/22 which would indicate that even 1u is too much.

We'll see what happens today on 1u.

How long have you been on the LC wet diet? And this might seem like an odd question but how often between poops is it for Tigger [checking to make sure constipation is not an issue]?

As for Michele's cooment you can buy control solution for your meter which would help you see if it is out of whack. Also you can get another meter [most you can get for free with rebates]. I have a OneTouch Ultra-mini and a Freestyle Lite. I learned that hard way that one should ALWAYS have two meters and valid sticks on hand. The OTU is a good second meter to have on hand - just because it is completely different than the Freestyle or the Reli-ons. Just make sure that in any of your communications with the meter companies that you DO NOT tell them that you are using it on your cat but rather your "baby" or that you are a caretaker for a child or something like that. There used to be a link for a free OTU but I don't know that anymore. Diabetespeople.com has very good prices on strips of all sorts.

7. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I really prefer the U40 syringes, I think because they have the longer needle on them. I need to find some U100 with the long needle. I'm not sure about his poops. I have 4 cats in the house that all share the same boxes, so kind of hard to say unless I stalk him all day.

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Here are some U-100 29g 1/3cc 1/2" needles [with 1/2 unit markings]:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 44884.html
    Lager gauge than optimal but these would do the trick for you.

So you tried the short needle ones? Where are you giving the injection? Have you seen this?
    http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7374
    Most people give at the side of the [belly] cat and not the scruff. But if you do do the side of the belly you just can go to low towards the belly or else you might hit some cat tit [or worse a nipple - ouch] and sink the shot into an unnecessarily fatty area. The scruff has lower or slower absorption characteristics.

You can read my concave vs convex tenting technique here:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3173&p=29939#p29939

What did you not like about them?

Was the 0.8 then just an eyeballed 0.8u on a u-40? At the low doses you are at the U-40s will not give you the ability to fine tune the dose anything like the U-100s will.

Most like the short needles...You just need to make sure you get the needle in up to the hilt and you are cool. The short needles are nice too because it makes it harder to go too deep and hit mussel [or other].

If Tigger is constipated then that can cause issues with the BGs. Maybe another littler box and have him use 1/2 the house and the other cats the other half? Did you say Tigger was having smelly poops or am I thinking of another kitty?

9. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I guess what I don't like about them is it seems like I can't feel that I've got the needle in the way it needs to be. I think it's just because I started with the longer needles, so I just need some adjustment time with the shorter ones. The .8 I gave last night was given with a U100 syringe. I've been shooting in the scruff, I think I will try on his side tonight and see how that goes.

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I like Gator's idea of trying 0.9u. Yes, I recommended trying 0.8u, the drop on 1u (and definitely 1.5!!) looks a little steep to me, and HI to me is usually a red flag (when my cat was on WAY too little insulin I rarely got HIs, just #s in the 400 & 500s all day). I don't like to cry rebound, but I'm suspicious on this one. When the swings get wider - nadirs in the blue & PSs in the black - I think trying a lower dose for a couple days is warranted (not dramatically lower, just 0.9u, or try 0.8u and hold it for a couple days). It's counterintuitive, but the steep drops can trigger more rebound and compound the problem.

11. tajana340

tajana340 Member

You can order the control solution from Relion at their 1-800 number. Someone told me that a while ago. I don't know the number right off hand. It should be with the info with the meter and I believe they will send it to you at no cost. Not sure if that is true or not. Keep us posted.

David

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.