Tigger 3/9 AMPS 352, +7 252

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mdmelvin1128, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I was expecting a much higher ps this am since I shot early last night, and did not shoot early this morning. Even though I'm doing everything wrong :oops: , it seems like he is still hanging in there and doing well. I'm confused as to why we are not seeing lower numbers. I'll take yellow and purple over red and black, but I would love to see some blues and greens.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

You're not doing everything wrong!!! :YMHUG: I was crying on the phone once with my sister and she said, "well, are you *supposed* to know what to do?" and I realized she was right. It's not like any of us went to diabetes school or anything, it's learn as you go and hope for the best.

Some people luck out that their cats are easy to regulate, others have more of a struggle. To some extent it has to do with what we do, but I think a lot of it is just what other factors are going on with any cat, how they react to the insulin, what state their pancreas & liver are in and how those are reacting, etc. I have seen people do things "all wrong" so to speak, and have it turn out just fine. And sometimes people do everything just right, and still struggle. (Not me, I was in the "all wrong" camp! :lol: )

As long as you shot at +12 this morning I wouldn't expect the PS to be higher unless you had lowered the dose for the early shot. Since you shot a higher dose, I would expect better than usual duration, which it looks like you got, yay! I'm surprised actually that the +4 you got wasn't lower - guess that is a sign that the zoom rate was high enough to counter the insulin. ECID I guess - Bix often got monster drops on early shots.

With Bix, I got intermittent results on lower doses, like around 1u, and when I finally approached it really systematically I had to go up to 1.8 to get beautiful #s consistently. I was scared to since I thought he *should* do ok on the lower doses, but he only did now and then. Then once we got up to 1.8 he started staying in good #s almost all the time, and I ended up reducing pretty quickly in stairsteps back down to around 1u to keep him from getting too low. I think it just had to do with his body adjusting to the insulin and to the good #s, somehow he needed that higher dose to convince him this was a good thing, and then after that he was willing to accept the lower dose better. Hard to know for sure - since his pancreas started sputtering after that, that could have been a factor as well.

I see some similarity in Tigger's #s, though I can't say for sure. First 1u looked promising, but now that appears to be ancient history. So now even 1.6 doesn't look to be enough, but the good signs are that you are getting a reasonble curve (the insulin is definitely doing *something*, and I don't see any signs of rebound), and it looks like the duration may be improving. Hopefully if you keep with this plan - hold each dose for something in the 3 day range and then raise by a small amount, you will see better #s soon. The nice part is that his drops aren't looking so steep, and the PSs may be coming down (not consistently yet, but hopefully that is in the works!).

Hoping for a nice PS for you tonight! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.