Tiki Cat - Info from company received

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I went to Chuck & Don's pet place here in Minneapolis and found Tiki Cat food for my civies. When I opened it, it looked like cooked shredded chicken. No gravy, some broth but that was it. Has anyone run across this. Is it low carb and can it be used for Harley? The label is so small I cannot read it.

Pattie

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Re: Tiki Cat - Premium Cat Food

Here's the Tiki Cat web site but unfortunately their online product catalog no longer has the cat food listed: http://www.petropics.com

You can find out the ingredients from PetFoodDirect.com: http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/tiki-cat

Many of the Tiki Cat varieties are seafood-based so you shouldn't feed those too often. There's a few chicken varieties. Most of the varieties are ok for diabetics. I would avoid the ones that contain rice and the ones that contain surimi because that has sugar in it.

4. weeble

weeble Member

I have the pickiest cat on the planet and the Tiki chicken is one of the only things she'll eat. I think the one gripe people have is that there's not a lot of calories in a can--like 70 to 80. So, depending on whether you have a wolfer or a picker (like my cat) that could be good or bad news.

5. Harley and Pattie

I picked up the chicken for my guys and they wolfed it down. Now, would the company give me the carb count for Harley. I rarely feed fish so that is not a problem. Low calorie - Harley needs to lose a Lb or 2 so this might help if the carbs are acceptable for a diabetic.

Pattie

6. weeble

weeble Member

I've asked them about phosphorus and they sent me the results of of all these tests they did; I'll see if I can find it. I think there's probably close to zero carbs in plain chicken ...

7. Harley and Pattie

Re: Tiki Cat - Questions to ask company

I want to call the company to get information on this product. What do I ask for? % carbs, calories, etc.

8. weeble

weeble Member

I found the sheets they sent me. I'll send them in a IM...

9. Larry and Kitties

You want as-fed values as opposed to the guaranteed analysis that the government requires on the package and which is typically provided on manufacture's website. Here is what is on J & B's site:

f you have "as fed" information (not so-called "guaranteed" or label values) . . .
    . . . And you'd like me to add them to the food tables, please e-mail me at binky dot cat at sbcglobal dot net. At the very least, I need "as fed" values for protein, fat, and carbohydrate. It would also be helpful to have "as fed" values for phosphorus, fiber, water, ash, and calcium, along with calorie information. I cannot use any number which is labeled "maximum" or "minimum", because it is by definition not an accurate value.

10. Harley and Pattie

I received a ton of information from the company but they have not analyzed the carbs. I have everything except that: protein, fat, moisture, ash, fiber, PO4, magnesium, iodine ect. They sent the information in 2 forms, Totals with moisture and dry matter information. Can I use any of this to calculate what may be the carb grams?

Pattie

11. Larry and Kitties

Maybe. If they sent the as-fed value you should be able too since the food consists of: Protein, water (moisture), carbs, fat, minerals (included vitamins), fiber, and fat (I think that it). Frequently cards are no specified but is what is left.

12. Harley and Pattie

So, this might be a dumb question but, I kept telling them I wanted the "as fed" information which they said it was. No where on the sheets does it say as fed - just analysis.

Pattie

13. Larry and Kitties

Can you post what your received from the Tiki?

14. Harley and Pattie

Oh dear, I would love to but I am not computer literate so I am not sure how to do it. Can I PM you and email it directly to you?

Pattie

15. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Did the company email you the info? If so, you can just copy the info (use mouse to highlight all the info, right click and choose copy) and paste it into a post here. The format might come out a little weird but someone will be able to pick out the info.

16. Harley and Pattie

It would be alot of information. Each pdf they sent was about 8 pages. I could try that

Pattie

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I think a lot of us would like the info. To upload files, look below the text composition box. There are 2 tabs in light blue. Click the "upload attachment" tab, then click the "choose file" button: navigate to where the file is on your computer; select your file; click choose. This returns you to the upload attachments panel; now click the "add the file" button. After you click that a new panel appears between the text composition box and the "Save/Preview/Submit" buttons, the name of your file appears here, move your cursor to where you want the attachment to appear, then click the "Place Inline" button.

18. Harley and Pattie

Well, I need to admit my ignorance with computer things. Once I learn something - ok, but to begin with it is a struggle. What text composition box - I don't even know where to find that.

Pattie

19. weeble

weeble Member

It's just like adding an attachment to an e-mail.

When you post a reply to this, scroll down a bit and you'll see two tabs: one says "Options" the other, "Upload Attachment". Click on "Upload Attachment".

Then click "Browse"--which searches your computer for the file. Select the Tiki document. Once you select it, click "Add The FIle". This attaches the file to your post which you can then submit as usual.

I think the site only allows you to attach one file at a time, so if you have more than one, you may need to do more than one post.

Hope this helps and thanks!

20. Harley and Pattie

This is the information they sent to me. Hope it helps.

Pattie

Attached Files:

21. Harley and Pattie

ok, I did something wrong because it says "not downloaded yet " under each file.

pattie

22. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Thanks for the information! You didn't do anything wrong. The "not downloaded yet" just means that no one else has opened those files yet.

23. Harley and Pattie

oh, well I am glad I was able to do it. If someone can tell me what carbs are in the chicken (puka puka luau) and chicken w/egg (koolina luau), I would appreciate it.

Pattie

24. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Hmmmm, their dry matter adds up to more than 100%. I am guessing they are counting the phos. in the ash.
    Assuming that, the J&B numbers are:

Koolina:
    pro - 84.4
    fat - 14.1
    carb - 1.5
    fiber - 0.07
    phos. - 415

Puka Puka:
    pro - 72.7
    fat - 26.2
    carb - 1.1
    fiber - 0.07
    phos. - 298

25. Harley and Pattie

Wow, that looks really good. Don't like the phos in the koolina but the other one looks ok. Thank you.

Pattie

26. sbooth

sbooth New Member

I'm so glad I found this forum! I have a recently diagnosed cat who was going through a very picky eating stage. I tried the Tiki Cat Hookena Luau and he LOVES it! (tuna & chicken in consomme) I'm trying to figure out the "as-fed" values... I downloaded the pdf file with the analysis but don't know how to figure out the carbs. Can someone tell me how or if you already have this info, pass it on please?

Thanks!
    Stacey

27. Harley and Pattie

Hi Stacy,
    I am going to attach the website for them. This is the person that I talked to before from Tiki Cat:

Theresa Jensen
    theresa@petropics.com

Hope this helps.

Pattie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.