time to kill waiting for the Friday 5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Here's an out of curiousity question: Did you reevaluate and make changes to your own diet as a result of your cat's diabetes?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

nope :D i'm still the type that if it tastes good, i'll eat it :)

fiance is turning into a bit of a fuddy duddy about food and eating this and not that, etc.... which is a downer to a degree but i have been picking the "sugar free" over the regular stuff or brown rice over white rice so i've made a few changes just because of his nagging. personally i don't want to live to be 80 or 90 so i don't care :lol:

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

No, but that is because I was diagnosed as diabetic 9 years earlier.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Nope not because of him - but I have made changes because of my beer gut! But, what kind of changes? Like having to give up rice or pasta?!! Wow, I can't even imagine.

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

DH & I went on a low carb diet last Fall. We went off of the diet in December when I had surgery. I wanted to eat comfort food (mac & cheese, chocolate, etc.) while I was recovering, but I gained 5 pounds. For the most part we stick to it, but chocolate is still my downfall. It has really helped me keep the weight off. Gator: DH switched to low carb beer except when we go to the local brewery and he lost his beer gut.

If I start eating Wellness Chicken cat food, then we'll know I've gone too far. :lol:

6. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

no.

having breast cancer made me change my diet. :sad:

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Yea beer is one of my weak spots too [I make beer occasionally]. Beer and chocolate are a particularly awesome pairing. "Low carb," you mean "light" beer? Interestingly one can make "light" beer at home by adding Beano to the brew which helps the yeasties convert the unfermentable sugars which are responsible for beer's carb content. "Light" store bought beer usually means lower alcohol content too. Alcohol is a nasty one too as I think it is 7 Kcal per gram where carbs are I think 3 [of course we don't need to worry about kitties drinking alcohol]. But in reality all things the same, Beano beer should have higher alcohol content [unfermentable sugars converted to alcohol]. Interesting reading about Beano beer here:
    http://www.byo.com/stories/wizard/artic ... -mr-wizard

8. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

DH and I started P90x last summer--he lost 25lbs!! I only did the diet part and did lose a few---then the holidays and winter came. URRGGGHHH!! Monday--we start again, wish us luck!

Beer, wine, cocktails, oh my! Love the stuff, but we haven't gone out in months. It helps to not have those extra calories, but I would rather skip appetizer and dessert and have a margarita instead!!

9. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Gator, thanks for the info on the beano beer. I'll pass it along to DH who also makes his own beer. Michelob is one of several brands that makes a low carb beer, not just low calorie, although it tastes a lot like water. :mrgreen:

10. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Beano beer. Just doesn't sound tasty ...

Cancer sucks. Seems like so many in this small group has had cancer. Surely more than the general non-diabetic cat owning population. Correlation?

I think my family eats healthy, but definitely not low carb. I picked up a low glycemic index cookbook at the library book sale yesterday. Thought I'd try out a few recipes.

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

NO WAY!!!! I do feel even guiltier though now when I am snarking down M&Ms, but it does not slow my pace, lol. The BAD thing is now that I know some things about treating diabetes, I figure if I get it, I'm already way ahead of the curve on testing & shooting. More M&Ms = higher dose, LOL. That is terrible, isn't it?

Thankfully the slowing metabolism these past few years = trying to keep chocolate & sugars out of the house for the most part. Some days that works better than others. ;-)

12. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Wow, up until 40 I ate whatever I wanted and stayed thin, but the past 12 yrs I've gradually tried to eat better but it is so much harder to budge that dang scale. (I guess thats what sweat pants are for) Luckily, I'm a big fan of veges.

As for beer- yay for beer! We have some wonderful microbreweries around here and ..... well a day just isn't complete without a sample! :D Gave up sweets for Lent, but giving up my beer, well ...... :shock:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.