Time to order syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexthecat, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Cleo and I started out with 0.5-cc, 29-G, 1/2-inch U-40 syringes that we got from the vet. Cleo was on 1 unit of Prozinc twice a day to start. After a week the vet wanted me to increase to 1.5 units and "just eyeball it", since the syringes didn't have 1/2 unit markings. That ended poorly with a hypo episode and poor Cleo being hospitalized for a day.

By the time we ran out of those syringes from the vet, I had done some reading here and seen the conversion chart. I felt confident switching to U-100 syringes. I ordered 100 0.3-cc, 29-G, 1/2-inch U-100 syringes from diabeticpromotions.com. These are so much better! I've been able to really fine tune Cleo's doses and keep her safe.

So, questions...
    It's time to order more syringes. Should I reorder the syringes I've been using? I like these syringes, but anything would be better than what we started out with. Are there better options out there that I may have overlooked? I have the impression that 1/2 inch needles are good for a longhaired cat like Cleo. That's all I've used though, so I could be wrong. Would a shorter needle work better for us? Are there cheaper options? I live in the sticks, so ordering online is easiest for me.

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be gratefully received .

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Needle length is totally a matter of preference......at first, it can sometimes be helpful to have the longer needles (especially with a long haired cat) but once you have the "feel" down, it doesn't matter how long they are.

All these syringes have half unit markings (very important when you're doing microdosing) and are the correct syringes for U100 insulin and are available from ADW online:
    UtiCare
    Monoject
    Carepoint
    Sure Comfort
    B/D

alexthecat likes this.
  3. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Thanks for taking the time to share that. I'm hoping that smaller needles will be more comfortable for Cleo. She's been such a little champ through all this.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I use Monoject syringes with the 1/2" needle. I haven't had a furshot in forever but they're too creepy looking for scruff shots. At one time I could order 1/3cc 30 gauge but they're discontinued. Monojects have a different feel, the softer and very large tabs under the plunger make them so easy to handle. In 5+ years I've never had sloppy markings or a seal go bad.
    Cleo is a beautiful name, same as my first female in the 80's. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.