Timing of insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

I was reading one of the links on here and it says to test BG, feed and then wait 15 minutes before giving insulin.

I have always just gave Bert his insulin when he is eating.
    Am I doing this wrong?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

it's another one of those things that all comes down to you and your cat. some people can only give the shot if the cat is distracted by the food so yes it's fine. i think the wait and see approach is to make sure the cat keeps the food down so if you have a barfer, you might want to do that. if your kitty doesn't tend to vomit too much, then i see no need for it. my Mousie for example might vomit once or twice a year so i don't worry about her having food on board for the insulin. i know she'll always eat :D

3. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

The link you are reading may be old and refer to some of the harsher insulins used that lower blood sugar rapidly upon injection. (N, Vetsulin/Caninsulin, Lente) The newer insulins (Lantus, Levemir, PZI) give a more level curve and for most cats don't need timed feedings to work.

Of course if you're using one of the faster ones, then it may well be a good idea to follow those instructions.

4. Kathy

Kathy Member

Ahhhh...thanks for the info.

Bert does not barf and we are on Lantus, so we will continue as we are :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.