? Tips for jumpy cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Coda (GA), Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Good morning! Coda is really difficult to keep still when I'm trying to bg test him or give him a shot. I managed to find a way to hold him across my lap to take BG from ears but it's not an ideal position to inject insulin.
    Coda just had his first insulin shot but jumped away in the middle of injecting. I feel no wetness on his skin/ fur but concerned about whether I injected in the right place or if I got a muscle or blood vessel. Should I be worried? Does he have higher chance of hypo?

As for future reference, a lot of videos I watch have the cat sitting perfectly still and it's hard to know how to restrain him when he's jumpy. He was still when I was at the vet for practice but he's always been better for other people lol. Are there any tips on how to hold him from fellow jumpy cats? (If I had someone else with me to hold him he'd be ok but I don't most of the time) I would try to give it to him as he eats but he's really curious about what I'm doing and sensitive to movement when he eats.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I think restraining is a last ditch effort. This is what we did for our first sugar cat Nigel. Dumped the Caninsulin syringe for a 31 gauge, got 33 gauge lancets, put a big towel on the dining room table where there's lots of light and Nigel wouldn't feel cornered, got into a set routine with him with the phone, TV and any other distractions turned off. He eventually jumped up on the table every time even though he knew what was coming.
    Noah is a different story. He is Nigel's brother and he is NERVOUS. I do everything very methodically without hurrying, talk to him, rub his head etc. Now he will stay in his basket for an hour before and after test and shot. Try a table or somewhere other than your lap where things are less likely to move. Maybe try to get at roughly eye level so you're not so menacing.
    What I did not do was hover over them and get nervous. Easier said than done right? Every cat is different, good luck with Coda.

Coda (GA) likes this.
  3. Coda (GA)

Coda (GA) Member

Thank you for the response! Coda is ok with BG testing (even comes sits next to me when I get the meter ready and stays on my lap until finished lol still has done a few jumps though) I just didn't know how else to hold him where I could inject insulin in the back and not have him jump away. I'd rather avoid the swaddling but maybe sitting him on the table would help or try to get someone else to hold and pet him while he gets used to it

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I think we just got lucky. Does this look like a nervous cat? This is Noah's brother Nigel and his Guardian Angel. Miss them both every day.
    hannah&nigel004.JPG

Coda (GA) likes this.
  5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I've had to "hug" Chuck before. I am right handed so I faced him toward my right while he was on the table and I was sitting. I hugged him with my arm under his chin and the other over his butt reaching for his flank skin. I rubbed my head on the back of his, which he LOVES because he tries to eat my hair. Weirdo. I pulled his skin and poked him while rubbing my head on his- barely any head movement so I could see what I was doing. It worked well and he wasn't really restrained but he couldn't bolt away with the needle in tow... Which he did the first time I poked him that day. Hope you can find a method that works.

Coda (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.