Tips on going out of town. :( :( Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erin Patters, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin Patters

Erin Patters New Member

How on Earth does everyone plan for an unavoidable trip out of town (please don't tell me how you just didn't go, we must, I'm sorry.)? She is IMPOSSIBLE TO KENNEL AT THE VETS.
    I'm looking for a reliable sitter to administer insulin, but...I'm so new to all this, and now we have to go...I'm terrified out of my wits about it.
    How long after a cat has it's shot can hypo occur? Can I lower dose while I'm gone to combat this fear and re-regulate doses upon my return?
    Any other tips on how to cope? It's for a long while. Help. :( :(

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Can you see if a vet tech at your vets office does home visits /pet sitting on the side? Many of them do.

What is her current dose? What are her typical numbers? Do you have a spreadsheet or log you could share?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Can you take her?

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

If you have to have someone else give the insulin, it would be safer to reduce the dose. Will they be testing her BG? How long will you will be gone. Is there anyway you can crate her and take her with you? Some people here travel with their cats all the time. When I had to be gone for 5 days, I boarded Callie at our vet. She knew them and they were knew all about her health problems. I didn't have to worry about her going hypo. The vet techs loved on her whenever they had a chance. If I had to leave again, I would take her back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.