Tips on using the Alpha Trak *Lancet* Device

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JAAshwell, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

I've been freehanding BG tests but a few people have suggested it would be easier to use the actual device. I was advised to use it on the highest setting, which on mine is 4.

The tip doesn't even come beyond the clear plastic cover. I am supposed to be putting the clear cover back on right? I looked at the video on the Alpha Trak site and it seems I am doing it right. What's a good thing to practice against so I can see the prick besides my cat ear?

I have 50 refills so I'm going to use them up before I buy another lancet device. Happy to take suggestions on those too.

Thanks!
    Judy&Emmy

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

An apple works great, especially because the apple juice will seep out so you know if your prick made it through the skin.

Try taking off the plastic cover and see if that makes things easier.

I ended up going through a bunch of different lancing devices until I settled in on my favorite, so see about getting a few others to try out. Do you know of any human diabetics? I must have gotten a half dozen lancing pens from various family members to practice with.

Tiggers_Dad likes this.
  3. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Perfect! I tried an orange - too tough -- the fruit is frightened in the house. Thanks!

mirnta and KPassa like this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've never used the clear plastic cover on my Alphatrak lancing device. It's much easier to see where the lancet tip is aimed without the cover. I only use setting '1'.

When I first started testing I used to bottle out on freehanding because the feel of the 'prick' gave me yikky shudders! The fact that the lancet device is spring-loaded helped because I could no longer feel the lancet penetrating the ear. Over time I've learned to draw the sample without needing to press the button on the lancing device, but I still prefer to put the lancet into the device when freehanding because my hands shake (anxiety disorder). I have a better grip on the device than on the lancet, so it helps me to steady the lancet and aim it accurately.

JAAshwell likes this.
  5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Hahaha! An apple also works great for practicing shots and shot techniques. Just cut the apple in half and aim the needle as close to the cut section as possible. The translucent meat of the apple makes it easy to see the angle to the needle going in and helps you visualize the angle to use on the cat. In fact, whenever I'm training someone to give Mikey shots, I have them practice on an apple a few times to get it down.

JAAshwell and Critter Mom like this.
  6. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thank you - I have sort of the same problem with the visceral reaction to doing it. I will try without the cover tonight - I guess it really isn't serving much of a purpose, is it?

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

This is brilliant - I hope you are also a Mythbusters fan - it sounds just like one of their experiments! That would be great for shots and tests!

KPassa likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

As far as testing a cat's ear goes, none whatsoever as far as I can fathom. Indeed, bearing in mind how small the optimum test site is, the plastic cover is a hindrance. :)

JAAshwell likes this.
  9. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thanks to all! I used the device, without the cover, and oh my goodness - what a difference! I can't believe the vet's office showed me to do it with a syringe. It's so much easier with the device - Thank you a million times! Curves tomorrow!

KPassa likes this.
  10. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

I wanted to thank you for the recommendation and the coupon at the link.

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Didn't even realize I linked to a coupon. I just googled it and clicked on the first link. :smuggrin:

It's the quietest, easiest to use device I've had and I love it so much, I bought a second one. The hole where the lancet comes out is off-center, so that does take some getting used to, but it ends up being a benefit and makes it easier to use on the edge of a cat's ear.

ETA: just stay away from the SoftClix one. I inherited one of those and I still have a hard time figuring out how to use it properly.

12. David Johns

David Johns New Member

I found that if I use the Alphatrak lancing device without the plastic cover (so just "stabbing" with the lancet held in the device to grip it) I ended up piercing the cat's ear and usually myself too. As long as I get the device perched on the edge of her ear, and pressed flat against it, it works fine and I don't lance myself either :) It is difficult to see exactly where you're aiming though but after a few tries you get the measure of it.

JAAshwell and KPassa like this.
  13. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thanks, I am having trouble judging how close to be to her ear to press the button when I don't have the cover on. Will give it a whirl.

14. Critter Mom

I usually have the tip of the lancet at a slight angle so that I can see where it's heading and I have it almost touching the area I'm aiming for. Then I press the button on the lancing device.

15. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The biggest difference between using a lancing device to poke vs. poking free-hand is the angle of the needle. If using the device to make the poke, the device needs to be flat against the ear. If using the device as a lancet holder for you to free-hand or just free-handing the lancet, you'll need to go in more at an angle.

A few people have mentioned that when free-handing, they use a "rolling" technique for the lancet, where they press it against the ear and gently roll it to prick. I'm not too sure how this works in practice since I'm not able to free-hand very well (I have really shaky hands when it comes to being "gentle;" stage-fright or something.:eek:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.