To Inject or Not to Inject?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HimynameisDucky, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HimynameisDucky

HimynameisDucky New Member

Hi yall! So I got my BG meter, and for some reason I feel like i am super bad ass at taking my girls reading!

I got the AlphaTrax2 Model (yeah I know the test strips are insanely expensive, but only the best for my girl right?)

I took it last night before I fed her and it was 85, didn't get any error message, so I am guessing I did okay with the reading?

I took it again tonight and her number is 78, my question is, is this were things start to get murky on if I should inject or not? She only gets a half unit (of vetsulin). And in case more info is needed: she weighs right around 10lbs, seems to be acting fine, and is enjoying her dinner of the Purina Beyond turkey and sweet potato.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

DON'T SHOOT

Normal on alphatrak is 68-150. If you shoot a low number like that it will go way too low. Thank goodness you're testing. We recommend new people don't shoot at all under 200.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thank heavens you're testing!! These numbers are far too low to give insulin.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

You are! Whew!!!

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thank the gods that you are home testing! As advised above, those numbers are in the normal BG range.

Did you change Ducky's diet from high to low carb after diagnosis by any chance?

Mogs

6. HimynameisDucky

Sorry just getting back to you guys now! I did NOT give Ducky her insulin this evening. I have been changing her food, so I think that is why her numbers have decreased dramatically from when the vet has tested her. The last time we were at the vet, this past Saturday (1/13), her BG came back as 155, which was taken at 1130 am, about 3 - 3.5 hours after her breakfast and morning shot. Since that Saturday I have tried to incorporate new foods (by mixing it in with her much higher carb "old" food brand - friskies meaty bits in gravy) and I have also, obviously, started to do home testing, 2 MAJOR factors that can influence her BG numbers! Although she hates getting her BG taken by me, she's not nearly as stressed as she would be after a 20 minute car ride and terrifying wait in the vets office with a bunch of new smells and sounds for her to try and wrap her head around.

The vet's wanted me to bring her in for a BG curve, but I convinced them to let me do it at home instead and was planning to do it this Saturday (1/20). However, I might take a day off of work tomorrow to do it so that the Vet's office is on stand-by in case her numbers stay low/there is an issue. I honestly don't expect her numbers to be high tomorrow morning before feeding (at least, not above 200 which is what you guys recommend is the minimum for injecting). On a side note - when I did ask the vet if 155 is significant, she said that it was really on the high side of average; I am just wondering if maybe we jumped the gun with the insulin and such, idk, just thinking out loud.

7. Critter Mom

The higher carb food may have been a key factor in keeping Ducky's BG at a higher level. The 0.5IU dose of Vetsulin was already quite a low one. Now that you've switched to a lower carb diet there is a possibility that Ducky might not need insulin to keep her in healthy BG numbers.

I'd suggest having a chat with your vet today to develop a plan of attack for Ducky along the lines of the following:

1. Test at what would be Ducky's normal injection times, morning and evening. If her BG stays in the normal range for a pet meter (68-150mg/dL) then don't give any Vetsulin.

2. For numbers above 150 set a safe 'no shoot' BG number below which no insulin should be given (e.g. no insulin below 200mg/dL).

3. If any insulin is given, test early in the cycle (+2 and +3) to check how low Ducky is heading, testing further as BG levels dictate (Vetsulin cats can often nadir between +3 and +8 but sometimes it can be even later), and intervening with food or honey/karo to raise BG if the need arises.

If Ducky can stay in the 68-150 range (and ideally in the lower part of that range) for 14 days without any insulin she would then be classed as a diet-controlled feline diabetic (i.e. in remission).

Mogs

Vader723 likes this.
  8. HimynameisDucky

OKAY, so my mental health day off from work did not at all go how I planned! I took Ducky's BG reading this morning before breakfast and it was 60! Obviously, I did not inject and began was essential was the first half of a BG curve for her. We ended up going to the Vet's office this afternoon because her numbers really weren't getting above 100 which is where the Vet wanted them to be. Oddly enough, because Ducky stresses herself out so badly going to the vet, the vet's reading was 147, only an hour after my last reading, which was 68. Nonetheless, Vet suggests stopping insulin for the time being, but to hold on to it and all the rest of the supplies and keep her on a low glycemic diet. So I guess my sugar baby wasn't too sweet after all!

I also seriously name dropped this site because everyone on here has been such a HUGE help, so I totally recommended to the vet to tell all newly diagnosed cats and their humans to find this website and create an account! I seriously cannot thank you all enough for your support and guidance! I would have lost my marbles if it wasn't for this forum!

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you use a human meter then that's why it was higher at the vet.

50-120 is normal for a human meter. 68-150 is normal for the pet meter.

10. Critter Mom

When suspending insulin treatment it's especially advisable to regularly check urine for ketones as a precaution. Here is some helpful information:

Testing your cat for ketones

Tips for collecting urine samples

It's also recommended to test BG twice a day, morning and evening. If numbers stay in the normal range for 14 days without insulin then the cat is officially in remission.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.