To Shoot or Not to Shoot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by moof86, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moof86

moof86 Member

That is the question!

Tested Morky this morning and he was at 9.3 (167.4), and I decided too low to shoot. Just tested him again at +6 and he's jumped up to 25.2 (453.6) As he still has 6 hours to go before his evening shot, not sure if I should give a low dose of insulin to keep him going or to just wait until the evening shot.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are still using Canninsulin, right? I would think you can shoot now, as long as you have a decent shot at a schedule for the next shot.

I see your sliding scale. Your number this am suggests the overall dose is too high, at least at the higher numbers like he got last night. To have a 167 12 hours after the shot means he probably went quite low overnight. I don't know what your life is like, but I would be very uncomfortable using the scale without some mid cycle numbers. With them, when he is low at nadir, you can adjust the scale down. I appreciate that you are doing this on your own. I doubt that we have anyone here who could advise you as we have very few people who used Canninsulin and I am not aware of anyone who used a sliding scale.

Next time, don't wait 6 hours to retest. Wait 20 minutes, retest without feeding. If he is over 200, shoot a reduced dose and adjust the scale.

Overall you have some decent numbers sometime. But he is still generally in higher numbers at preshots and it is not lasting 12 hours (unless the dose is too high like last night) How is the process going for a change in insulin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.