To those more knowledable on foods

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I am looking for the perfect dry food for all my cats. Please no lectures on wet/dry...thanx

The Acana site (Champion foods from Canada) has listings that seem to be what is required as in % of calories and not % of product. It is interesting to note that in the GA the fat is listed at 20% and yet in their Metabolic list it totals out at a whopping 45%.

It seems like Acana lists what we need right up front.

What say you?

I have a report coming on Wysong in a bit.

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Regarding Wysong Epigen 90:

I contacted Wysong to get the dry matter analysis a few weeks ago because I was disturbed they were claiming their food was 0% carbs when there is no way the ingredients could make that possible. A tech at Wysong told me that they were not making the dry matter analysis available to the public at this point in time. I asked when they would make it available, I was told there were no current plans to make this information available.

I find this extremely sketchy and I would not feed any food where the company refused to supply the actual nutritional content. It indicates they know they are making false claims about this food, but if they release the actual nutritional content, they can no longer use the (fake) carb content as a selling point. Why else would you not provide this information to people?

All the other dry matter analysis values for Wysong foods are freely available on their web site.

Not getting into a lecture, but I will reiterate that there is no "perfect" dry food. The best you can hope for is the least damaging.

3. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I sent this memo to Wysong on the date below because of a blog I read. They have not responded so I am pulling all Wysong from my house.

Apr 16
    to wysong
    Before I started feeding my diabetic cat E90 I called and was told the carbs were less than 1%. according to the blog below it' more like 10%..very bad news.

I belong to a forum www,felinediabetes.com or FDMB index.php

We use "AS FED" values to calculate carbs, protein and such as a percent of calories and not weight or volume.

Check out the blog below.

http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2011/ ... y-cat-food

4. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

IS this the way the calories and carbs are done? Is this exactly the same? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this nutrition thing and it's eluding me. How do they know "As fed" and how it relates? I feel so stupid. :oops:

Please see this link:

http://www.petfood.aafco.org/CalorieContent.aspx

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes. Once you have the as-fed values (also called the dry matter analysis, or dry weight values), you use that formula to convert it to percent of metabolized energy. If you don't want to do the math, there is also a spreadsheet here that you can plug the values into: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html.

As fed depicts the value of the nutrient that is available "as is" in the food. These values are determined by laboratory assay and are the values of the nutrient when fed to the pet.

6. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

My hang up must be thinking that "As Fed" and dry matter analysis, or dry weight values were different. So, they are the same. no wonder I was confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.