Today my Princess was diagnosed with Diabetes... uggggg

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bryan & Princess, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

My Cat's name is Princess, she is 12-14 years old, was diagnosed with Diabetes Today 5/25/2018 the only other issue was some bad teeth removed a year ago. I forgot the name of the Insulin as I don't have it yet, they were out of stock and all nearby vets were out of stock today as well (they called around), I will be getting insulin after Memorial Day.

Princess was drinking a ton of water and peeing like crazy, she also looked like she lost a little weight (2lbs 14vs.16) so I did internet research I was pretty sure it was Diabetes and it was - the Meter Test scored a 607 . Waiting on Full Blood work to come back from the Labs that were sent today.

I spent today $240 for office visit, full labs, and her rabies shot that was over due.

My Vet is quoting me $60 for a 3 month supply on Insulin (1 unit twice a day), and $20 for 100 needles which seems very fair (Money is EXTREMELY tight so I will research it later)

I am planning on getting a Relion Test Meter, I see many choose the "Confirm" model, is that because it takes less blood? The "Prime" test strips are 1/2 the price. (I do like that Confirm model keep my logs if I can get it to work consistently paired with my IPhone SE)

As far as diet, looks like I will be switching to Fancy Feast Classic is a good option (she currently eats Friskies Can Food)

So much going through my mind, all these expenses add up which is difficult on my low income, but I love my poor kitty so sacrifices will be made.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Bryan, welcome to you and Princess. Not the news you wanted, but it's doable! I use the Relion Confirm because it requires a very small amount of blood, and is wicking. Princess can also eat Friskies pate, just no gravy or sauces. Feeding the low carb wet diet can lower the blood sugar, so that might help also until you get the insulin. I'm so glad you are willing to test, it's really important to test before injecting to avoid a hypo. Cruise around the forums, read the yellow tagged info and stickies at the top of the forums. Read the info on the home page. Take a breath, relax a little, you can do this.

Bryan & Princess likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! She looks like a pretty girl. It is a bit hard to tell in the upside down pose, but is she a dilute calico?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.