Today???

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

We had a lime at +5. I gave a few treats and she came back up on her own to 92 at+6 an hour later. She vomited after +6 +7 is now high 200s. Do you think the vomiting was a reaction from being really low to high?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be. You can try shaving the fat off her 2 u dose or drop a little more to 1.75 u if you're more comfortable with that. She's a bit like Teasel: coasting along at a decent dose with periodic drops and the occasional surprising dive.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Rachel likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Damn.i do not want to reduce so again depending on the number at PMPS which I expect to be high. I’m going in at fat 2 and having a semi sleepless night. Lol. Of course going away on Thursday. Was gonna drop her to 2 for those few days but let’s ee what happens tonight and maybe I have to drop her more while I’m gone :banghead:

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Any chance they were a high carb treat? Some cats after they get off of junk food will puke when they have carbs again. Usually associated with gravy foods, but I would think the right treat could have a similar impact.

Hopefully she'll let you get a good sleep tonight!

5. Lisa and little

Hi there... I use the dr elseys clean protein as treats.there was just water and hair in the vomit.... sorry for the visual. Maybe I gave her like 12 kibble. She usually gets 4-5 as a treat after test .. +4 was 154... maybe I will sleep

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...could have been a hairball. My Oreo sometimes vomits up a bit of hair and water too like that. It's never a giant ball of hair like normal cats, but just enough to upset his stomach and make him feel the need to get rid of it.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Lisa and little

This mornings whammy... she barely ate. This never happens NEVER..!!! .She is definitely spooked by workers outside so that could be it. Issue is I gave full dose while she was eating then she quit! Another day of monitoring!!!

8. Djamila

Is there a quiet place away from the workers/windows that you can put her with her food?

9. Lisa and little

They’ve stopped. She’s not interested. Now I’m freaking out cause I am leaving Thursday to Monday. This always happens. Some kind of whammy when I have to travel. It’s like they know....

10. Djamila

That was a nice cycle last night. And yes, they absolutely do know. :cat: I think there are few things that make a cat happier than messing with us! Try not to stress too much about leaving. I know that's easier said than done. Little is going to be okay, and come tomorrow evening, we'll help you make a dose decision, then you just have to go and have fun and not let it consume your trip. :bighug:

11. Lisa and little

Easier said than done... between the no pooping last week, the vomit yesterday and now this am... my innards are twisted. Thank god she is eating we speak! And this was my evening last night... note to self... do not put cat bed in washing machine!!:nailbiting:

Attached Files:

12. Kris & Teasel

:eek:

13. Djamila

Oh no!!!

14. Lisa and little

New vial of insulin X strips first BG test 343 -AT2 comparison same blood drop 281. That seems off to me. Thoughts?

15. Djamila

Given the 20% meter variation up or down, the two numbers could overlap. Maybe run a few more side-by-sides and see if it consistently reads high?

16. Lisa and little

Is it really 20%? That could mean a 300 is really 240 which to me at least is night and day. My next few tests I’ll run both strips. Thanks you! I hope you are having some wine or a martini for your birthday :)

17. Djamila

On one hand it's a big difference. On the other hand, they are both too high, so the treatment is the same. The low numbers are more important, and there is less of a gap in the low ranges.

Thank you for the birthday wishes! It turned out to be a pretty nice day. :)

18. Lisa and little

Glad you had a happy birthday. I get the numbers are the same. Just always want to double check a new batch of strips... today’s comps were more accurate so I’m good there. As for my numbers today... whole nother story. Low PMPs 114 stall 30min. 118. Shot 2U and see here it goes. She was definitely not feeling well yesterday. Didn’t eat normal and slept more than usual... yes that is possible. Lol. Today better but still didn’t eat all her food which is unusual. Of course leaving for a long weekend tomorrow and questioning if I should. Will need dosing advice for the sitter who will not test. Let’s see what numbers today brings. My original plan was to reduce dose to 2U while gone but this mornings whammy may have to change that... always something!

Djamila likes this.
  19. Djamila

How long will you gone again? How many cycles?

20. Djamila

And for the zillionth time....remind me if you can leave food out or if Little gobbles it all?

21. Lisa and little

8 cycles ..

22. Lisa and little

Well until yesterday I would say no chance. But the last 2 days she hasn’t finished her meal. This am she left about 1/4 but finished it just now. So maybe I can ? What would be the worst thing? She overeats ?

23. Djamila

I would think dropping the dose to 2u, or maybe the skinny side of it if that makes you nervous, would be fine while you're gone. I would just make absolutely sure that your pet sitter knows the exact placement of the plunger since we all interpret 2u a little differently. I'd like other folks to chime in though since I do tend to lean towards the more aggressive side of dosing.

And I usually have pet sitters feed more than the normal amount since my pet sitter doesn't like to test either. It helps that Sam and Atty are grazers and I've seen Sam steer himself every time I've ever seen him going low, so I know he can take care of it if he needs to. My pet sitter always cringes at how much food she throws away each time, but I'd rather waste some food and know they are safe. The PetSafe5 is a great auto feeder which can help spread out the meals for cats who like to eat it all at once.

24. Lisa and little

I’m a bit aggressive myself with dosing lately ... look at this am! Question. Just did a +3.5 and it’s 89. If there is a 20% error possibility that can be 73.. which is a bit low for +3 yes?

25. Kris & Teasel

Don't think about the meter variance. Go with the number you see and judge accordingly. You'll drive yourself nuts if you compare meter readings or calculate what the "true" reading is (is it 20% above or 20% below?). This FD thing is hard enough that you don't want to add extra layers of complexity.

Djamila likes this.
  26. Lisa and little

I’m turning into a head case. Happens every time I travel. Thoughts on pet sitter dosing?

27. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Djamila that 2 u is probably fine. Maybe fill a syringe with coloured water to your idea of where 2 u is and leave it as a guide for the sitter.

28. Lisa and little

I’ve been using U 40s for the past week so that everyone gets used to the 2U. Last time I left for a dayand sitter used U 100s something screwy happened so I don’t want to leave that to chance. 2 is 2 clearly marked ...

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Did you put the u100s somewhere far away from where the u40s are? I'd leave them in the back of closet while you're gone just so she doesn't accidentally grab the wrong ones!

30. Lisa and little

They are buried!!! Xoxo. Wish us luck. The last 2 days were crappy for her. At least she ate without coaxing this evening. I’ll be home for most of the day tomorrow and then I pray...

31. Djamila

I realize it's too late for this suggestion now...sorry I didn't think of it sooner...but I've found it tremendously comforting to have nanny cams in the house so I can see for myself that they are okay while I'm gone. I had a wonderful pet sitter who would also take pictures of the cats and send them to me every time she stopped by to feed. It was part of her own safety net to protect her business, but it was also super calming to me to get pics of them twice/day. I got the wyze cameras off amazon. they are relatively inexpensive and just make me feel better about leaving them.

32. Lisa and little

I’ve often thought about getting them. My quandary is where to place them.. my sitter is good. Calls in at least once a day and does send pics. I’ll still be a wreck though with everything that went on this week. I swear they know. Even before the suitcase comes out!!

Djamila likes this.
  33. Djamila

Sam has peed in my suitcase while I was packing not once, but TWICE. I'm a slow learner. :facepalm: And they definitely know.

34. Lisa and little

Lol. You know what they say... fool me me once!

Djamila likes this.
  35. Djamila

Safe travels today! Have a great weekend!

36. Kris & Teasel

Good luck! :)

37. Lisa and little

BEA75D4E-05F5-4AEC-9100-AA4A573786B4.png Thanks girls!!

Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Have a good weekend!