Today's BG Curve on Blackie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

This morning, she was tested AMPS, and tested 140. Gave her 8 units of ProZinc. Retest at 2 hours later. 220. Retest 3 hours later... 36 Retest again 3 hours later... 21 Called Mary in a panic. Per her instructions, gave Blackie 1 tsp. of wet W/D (Hill's Prescription), less than 1ml honey, and 5 Hill's Prescription W/D kibble.

Retested at:

2:45 p.m. = 41
    3:10 p.m. = 77
    4:10 p.m. =159

Will be feeding her FF (1 1/2 cans), but will be retesting again PMPS and after she eats (20 minutes after she eats, I'll get a BG reading, and will be calling Mary again to see where I need to go from there.

I was, and still am, apprehensive, and scared. I'm not going through this again tomorrow, so am making the switch to the high protein diet tonight.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

ugh yeah, those numbers got scary low there.

now, i see your pmps reading on another thread. know that that is a bounce from the low numbers in combination with the syrup and stuff you had to use to save her life. 20's, 30's, and in some cats, even 40's can cause seizures and neurological damage. sooooooooooooo i urge you to not react to the 300+ number and shoot a bunch of insulin. that is how kitties get on and stay on a roller coaster until eventually they can't take it anymore and crash.

i really encourage you to consider lowering that dose down now ok :) i know you're probably tired of hearing that but you have your proof now that it needs to be done.

3. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

It was definitely scary - kibble & canned foods in little bits every 15 minutes for 2 hours+ to get her to a safe reading again. Not to mention the honey..
    But Angela handled the crisis like a champ!

~M

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thanks, Mary.

I called my husband at 7:15 and told him that we need to hit the store tonight to get more FF. I just about hit the roof when I told him that I've made the decision to change her food from high carb to high protein, and I also lowered the insulin dosage to 1 unit 2x a day for now. He asked if I had called the vet, and I told him that I didn't as I called Mary instead. He's angry with me, I'm sure. Blackie, is fine and napping. I just checked her breath for that fruity smell. Nothing (knocking on wood). I'm guessing that a fruity smelling breath is the presence of ketones?

I couldn't have done this without Mary's help, though. I'm sure that had I called the vet, he would've told me to bring her in today. I can't as I don't drive. The vet more than likely would have increased her insulin level, too. From what I've read on here, and from what everyone has told me, you don't increase the amount of insulin if you're giving a high protein, low carb diet. This is something that I'm sure I'll have to explain yet again to hubby.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela,

Sorry you are having such problems getting your husband on board. Would it help if you brought him on the site and had him read the Frequently Asked Questions section and some of the other informational material? One way I try to explain why vets might not know everything about feline diabetes is that they are like GPs. They know a little about a lot of things, but not a lot about feline diabetes. Most vets just see a few diabetic cats a year. Everyone on this site has or had a diabetic cat and has successfully treated them. That's a lot of collective knowledge and a regiment that works.

There is little downside to homestesting and lowering the dose. There is a huge downside to not hometesting and raising the dose. Too much insulin and not knowing that can kill a cat. Hypos can be deadly. The only thing to remember when lowering the dose is to test for ketones.

I am sorry you are dealing with a reluctant partner and a diabetic cat. Remember to breathe! This too shall pass.

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I'll see if I can catch Blackie with regards to the ketones. I'll be watching her like a hawk. LOL

Blackie was staggering around the house at the 21 BG level. I KNOW that the optimum level for any cat with diabetes is 60. Below that is dangerous. She was critical. I'll be calling the vet in the a.m. and letting them know what happened today. Don't think it was stress of my taking too many blood samples. Before this evening, the vet had us give her 8 units of ProZinc 2x a day. Now, I've given her 1 unit and the Fancy Feast. It's going to be a long night and a very long rest of the week.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you were hometesting! Yes, I would tell the vet about her numbers. Maybe they will get the picture.

Do be prepared for a possible high number tomorrow though. When they go low, their bodies produce glucose to bring them back to a safer level. So your number in the morning will probably be a rebound. Don't see a high number and think you need to up the dose. It may take a day for the rebound to clear.

8. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

If he reads nothing else on this board, have your hubby read this, Angela, 5 steps to regulating your cat:
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=17937

It would be a good idea for both of you to look this one over - FAQs about feline diabetes:
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html

And these links will explain about rebounds caused by too high a dose of insulin:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Somogyi_rebound
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Somogyi_rebound
    Note how high doses of insulin set off a roller coaster blood sugar cycle for kitty

You ought to direct your vet to this article from the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association:
    http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/ ... elines.pdf
    Methinks she needs to learn a bit more about treating diabetic felines.

HTH,

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.