Toes recently diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ELiles, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ELiles

ELiles New Member

Hi everyone,

My 13 year old, polydactyl cat "Toes" was recently (2 days ago) diagnosed with diabetes. I noticed he was not well when he was drinking constantly and using the litter box waaay more than usual. He has been overweight for many years. His sugars were in the 500's when the vet tested him, but had no ketones in his urine. He was started on 2 1/2 units of Prozinc twice a day and we also switched him to Hill's m/d-canned.

After reading this board, I ordered a home test kit but haven't received it yet, and he hasn't been to the vet for a curve so I have no idea what his numbers are right now. However, he seems so much better! He is drinking normally and not using the litter box as much. He also seems to be slightly more energetic.

My question is this: Toes has always eaten dry food throughout the day. We were told to feed him the new canned food twice a day, but when I try, he only eats a little bit and so is hungry an hour or two later. I am making him wait as long as possible, but he is still eating about 4 small meals throughout the day. Is it more dangerous to have him not eat for a long time, or to eat more often than two times a day?

Thanks for all the great information on this board.

Erin

2. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new here too, but I think many people here feed several smaller meals per day. A lot of articles I've been reading on cat diet say 2-3 times a day, and I think some feed even more often than that.

Good luck to you and Toes!

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

It is ok to leave high protein, low carbohydrate (grain free) canned food out 24 hours per day.

I have two diabetics (adopted through this board after my first sweet cat Norton passed away), and they have free access to the canned food 24 hours.

I check the bowls before going to bed and add some if needed so I don't get a wake-up at 4 a.m. to tell me the bowls are empty

We put out fresh food at breakfast and add some at P.M. shot time and/or bedtime

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Until Toes' glucose levels become regulated, he is going to always to seem hungry and losing weight. This is because his body is not processing his food properly.

You can feed him as much as he will eat right now. Once his glucose levels start to lower, you will find his appetite decreases also. As Phoebe said, you can leave canned food out. You can also feed several meals or if you are not able to, can also get a timed feeder that will serve the meals for you.

5. ELiles

ELiles New Member

Thanks everyone- it is good to know we are not doing more harm by letting him eat several times a day. We can't leave the food out all the time because we have another non-diabetic cat and a dog as well. They seem to want Toes's prescription food more than he does, lol.

Erin

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

actually the more frequently he eats, the better it is, same as if you have grazers, they eat when they are hungry - by giving frequent meals - you don't have as great food spikes as when sitting for a main meal.

think of it how you eat - 3 meals a day, vs. several small meals throughout - your BG's swing greater with the biggers meals.

my girls are grazers, I leave wet out all the time and they eat when they want it.

I also recommend adding water to the food - it helps to keep it moist longer and ensures the cat is getting enough water intake. I tend to add about 1/3-1/2 can of water for each can of food.

You can add more - one cat I sat for (Blue) loves it really wet and I would put 1 can of water per can of food. Of course he no longer drinks out of his water bowl, but that's ok.

Also, you can freeze this mix and if you'll be away for several hours, you can put out fresh and the frozen - it will take a few hours for it to thaw and be ready for eating. Now, I have heard some cats won't care and will eat it frozen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.