Tonight's update on TK and Radar

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra & CB (GA) & Gang, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Their vet was out most of the day on farm calls, but there is a second vet that stays at the clinic. I went to visit the boys after work today, and all I can say is that they are very much feeling better! Radar was very anxious to get out of their cage, I held him for a little while. At first TK acted as though he was a bit upset with me for "leaving" him there, but he quickly warmed up and started demanding his fair share of the attention. They really started getting pretty active, and then started acting like they were getting really overly excited to see us, and TK started coughing a bit, so we left them and talked with the vet out in the hallway. :oops:

TK has an URI, Radar has a bit of one too, just a little milder form, his nose is a little snotty. The vets both think that the boys may have trichomonas, so tomorrow all sorts of fecal tests will be sent to the outlab, smears, samples, etc... to be not just tested for this infection but for anything that can possibly be of cause of the diarrhea. Jess, she already plans to have that zinc centrifugation run, that'll be just a part of the tests, plus fecal cultures too. I have to give credit to these new vets.....they are very very thorough! :D

TK was retested and is again negative for FeLV/FIV/heartworms, so we didn't bother retesting Radar.

The blood that TK threw up yesterday morning they feel might have been from some ruptured blood vessels in his esophagus from having thrown up 7 times within maybe 10 minutes time. They've seen no more vomitting from either boy, and TK's poo has returned to normal, Radar's has changed from liquid with gas to no gas with a pudding form.

I didn't get to ask about which WBC was high in TK, I'm sorry, and because the old vet that saw the boys this past Wednesday doesn't keep good notes on the pet's charts, the new vet doesn't know which kind of bacteria the old vet found in Radar's poo at that time. Most of the tests the new vet is running is being done on TK, but plans are treat both boys if TK's tests reults show anything that they're not already being treated for.

The vets are taking a "shotgun" approach to treatment until all the outlab test results come back. They're getting clavamox (I did warn the vet this afternoon that Radar is overly sensitive to this, so they'll be on the lookout for any problems), doxycycline, albon, flagyl, and some other med that I can't remember the name of....the vet said it's to help "dry" their poo. TK is still on IV fluids, but he's producing plenty of urine now, so his hydration level is much better now too. Both boys are eating well, drinking well, and anxious to come home.

But, because of all the further testing they're planning for tomorrow both boys remain hospitalized. If things continue to improve the vet is hoping to release them tomorrow afternoon!

2. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Sounds very encouraging! I'm glad all bases are being covered.

Thanks for the update. I know I wasn't alone in wondering how things were and in hoping all was OK.

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Oh Debra I'm so glad the FeLV/FIV test was negative. I was really worried about it as the situation is classic for FeLV kittens. Whew. Are they still both eating well? I'm glad to hear they aren't vomiting and the poo is better.

Thinking ahead a bit, you may want to get them on a restricted diet to see if that helps with the diarrhea. EVO and Nature's Variety make OTC restricted diets, I think. Nature's Variety has freeze dried rabbit, IIRC, and EVo (and wellness, too, I think?) make grain-free mostly-one-meat diets. Anyway it's worth checking into and giving a trial once they are home.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Yay, an good update :RAHCAT Now I can go to bed.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

sounds great, debra

6. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I'm relieved to hear this!

7. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Good update, very encouraging. And I like these vets!

8. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

So happy to hear they are doing better. Kittens with attitude are always a good thing (even if they are yelling at you for leaving them there :D )

Can't wait till they are on their way home!

Connie

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Whew!!!!

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Oh Debra this is a great update!! Sounds like you found a great vet and team to take care of TK and Radar. Sending hugs and purrs to them both.

11. Debra & CB (GA) & Gang

Debra & CB (GA) & Gang Member

Thing is Jess, about diet, back when my boys were eating just AD and I was trying other foods to get them off, I did try Evo, Wellness, and several other more "specialized" foods, but got absolutely nowhere with them. They would turn their noses up at it and then either steal our "people" food (yes, even to the point of Radar grabbing the top of the trash can and turning it over!) or would eat my adult cats' food, which is dry/canned mixed. I'm not sure what the vet is feeding the boys, I'll have to ask today, but whatever it is they report that both boys are eating well, so whatever it is they seem to like, or they're just so bored with being confined to a cage that at this point they'll eat anything just to be doing something! LOL! And the only flavors I've found that they'll readily eat are chicken, turkey, or tuna. They won't eat beef, lamb, or "seafood" flavors.

Dr. K told me last night that most likely they'll be released this afternoon and I'm hoping that they do. Data, Freon, and Jasmine all miss the boys very much. Data goes from room to room yowling for them, Freon wants to play, but since TK isn't here Freon is harrassing Speedy (which totally freaks her out), and Jasmine is acting a bit depressed. Last night when we returned from visiting the boys Jasmine started sniffing my hands and then stood up looking all around and purred very loudly. :sad:

12. Dale

Dale Member

Sounds like a good report, Debra. I like this vet! I'm glad you changed to them. BTW, can you pm me who they are?

I know it's not the main problem area right now, but have they said anything about Radar's eye? Here's hoping they can come home tonight.

13. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I hope your boys are coming home soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.