Tonka is still going strong

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by jmalasiuk, Mar 7, 2020.

1. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Hi all. I've been away from the board for a long time now, and just wanted to share that my old boy Tonka is still doing well as a diet-controlled diabetic kitty, and still maintaining BS levels of 5.0 or so (on a human meter) after almost 5 years OTJ.

He's old enough that he's started to lose some muscle mass and isn't quite as adventurous as he's been most of his life, but he's still playful when the mood strikes him, and the same old trouble maker that he's spent so much of his life being. My vet is eternally amazed by him :)

Sadly, we lost his brother and best friend Teeger (at 19 years) about a year and a half ago, and Tonka was soaking up all the extra love. But I brought in another trouble maker - a little black former feral she-cat (Rockie) - who simply adores him, and he's grudgingly accepting her love now, and teaching her the ropes.

Thank you again for helping us get to this point, and for being there for all the folks who need this group. Love from me and my muddy-pawed wonder

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Kittens are nice but for us we absolutely cherish our older cats. They're like old souls who have earned the right to their spot on our big bed. The abused, the surrendered, cats we've rescued/stolen from neighbors and the ones who just show up at the back door cold and wet, come on in boys.
    Tonka is catching up to Leroy who made it to 23, his brother to 17. That's a very nice story, thank you.
    I lived in Calgary when I was a kid and I miss the mountains.

charliewarlie and jmalasiuk like this.
  3. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

Yup, my old boys mean the world to me. I was so worried that Tonks wouldn't make it past his middle age, but here he is, as ridiculous as ever :) And lapping up as much snug time as he can, of course. Thanks in very large part to this group, an awesome vet, and my refusal to give up on the little turd.

I've only adopted adults from the rescues. Rockie (at two) is probably the youngest of the bunch, but because she was born feral, is extremely shy around people and they couldn't place her. She's been gradually warming up to me, but she things that Tonka is the absolute best. She's correct, of course.

Sharon14 and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jordi, love the update. :) It’s so satisfying to see our diabetic kitties thriving in ripe old age.