? Too much food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frank's Mom, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

So my Frank has gained some weight in the last week...yay...and I guess now I need to consider cutting back his food. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much he's been eating...how much I've been allowing him to eat. He's somewhere between 3-4 cans of food a day.
    So, any thoughts on what I should be feeding him daily? I have a feeling he's going to be very mad at me very soon. But his insulin is also going to be going up to 2U 2x a day this weekend, so maybe he'll naturally start eating less?? Just looking for some thoughts on this...thanks!

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad my girl, I feed her about 4 cans a day. I know they have said if they are unregulated they are starving. They burn up calories. Since phoebe is at the other end of the spectrum, she's loosing weight. I kinda wish she would gain some. Never be ashamed here. It's all learning. Every day it's something new. I am new here but I know these people can help you and advise you. Good luck with your furbaby :) :)

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It's really almost impossible to overfeed an unregulated FD kitty. Because diabetes interferes with their utilization of nutrients, they are, quite literally, starving. Unless he looks like he's becoming genuinely fat, I would feed him as much as he wants.:)

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jill, I hadn't seen that article. I will have to adapt my advice to take that into account! :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.