Too much testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Dec 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I know a lot of people would say there is no such thing, but I went from twice / three times a day testing today to like five in 24 hours and my cat is just over it.
    His ear looks okay, but maybe it's sore? Should I use the other ear? Alternate?
    I think I'll get a +6 tonight number for him tonight and then leave him alone provided everything is okay. He's starting to run away and I just feel bad. I don't want him to start hating this when he's been so very patient. I'm also going to offer treats before mid cycle tests so hopefully that helps.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I alternate testing on the ears. depending on how the insulin is working on your cat and his numbers would determine how often you have to test. I don't see on your spreadsheet that you have tested five times in 24 hours. I am not familar with lantus so you might want to ask that question on the lantus page, just copy what to wrote and paste it there. Ask them to look at your spreadsheet. You can put neosporin pain relief ointment on his ears a thin layer but make sure it's the ointment and not the creamcream @SidneysMom

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes alternate the ears and also not in the same spot on the ear. Have you got some neopsorin pain relief ointment to rub on the ear. That helps.
    Give him a treat as you are testing so he has his head in the trough while you do it. You have not jumped to quickly with the testing.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

FYI: In Canada, Neosporin Pain Relief is called Polysporin Complete. You want the ointment, not the cream.

SidneysMom likes this.
  5. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I haven't tested five times in 24 hours...that's today. Yesterday was four, but one of the values is missing.. So we have jumped up in the times we are testing.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm a terrible person to answer that question. I was a testahoic. I like data.

What I would encourage you to do is to get at the minimum, one test before you go to bed every single night. Without a test, you have no idea how low Sidney's numbers may be going. In addition, without a PM test, you're missing half of your data.

7. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

I have an easy cat, I could test him every hour and he will patiently purr through every single one. So I can't relate to having to test on an inpatient kitty, but one thing that helped me that I realized on my own that could help you- the "sweet spot" on the ear is not the only part of the ear you can get blood. It might be the easiest, but I use the entire length of the ear, which helps because I usually only use my kitty's right so I'm not constantly poking that same small area.

8. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

I only test preshot and maybe mid cycle if I’m worried for some reason - but that’s rare. My cat too hates being poked (although she’s gotten much better over time). I’m a strong believer in the quality of life rather than the quantity of life and living in fear and constantly being poked isn’t a great way to live - not even for people when they understand what is going on. I know not everyone agrees with me but I would hate to think that my cat is constantly on the alert thinking that every time I came near her that she felt she had to run and hide - that kind of stress would probably drive up her numbers anyway. Make sure you get in as many pats and cuddles in between testing as well so your cat knows that you are not always approaching her to poke but also for loving as well.

Tbarry likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

From having been here for quite some time, I've seen too many instances where testing would have avoided disaster. On the Facebook counterpart to FDMB you can find Baxter's story. Baxter's mom was averse to testing.. She came home to a kitty who was very lucky to have survived a symptomatic hypoglycemic episode. Another member who was experienced had her cat come out of remission. She became very lackadaisical about testing. She left the house with her cat in somewhat low numbers. She should have taken the time to get more tests. She came home to a dead cat.

There are any number of people who will happily tell you how their cat comes running to be tested. The kitty knows that treats are involved. Or, more to the point, what we are doing by virtue of testing and giving our cats insulin, helps them to feel better. This isn't every cat but there are many here who will point out that their cat's quality of life is not jeopardized by testing. Rather, it is quite the opposite. When we tell new members that the process of managing their cat's diabetes creates a. unique bond, I know that I certainly found that to be the case.

Chloe007 likes this.
  10. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

I agree that testing is important - I’m very pro testing, I never give a shot without testing and mid-cycle whenever I think it is warranted, even the occasional curve. Not all cats are going to love it though and (my opinion only) excessive testing isn’t for everyone or all cats. The whole “this person’s cat or that person’s cat nearly died thing” just promotes anxiety in owners and further excessive testing. Every person and cat is individual, I want to believe that most owners do the best they can for both themselves and their cats.

11. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

I test on paw pads and my cat seems to tolerate that better. I used to put a piece of lunch meat on his chest and he would try to get it while I grabbed a test. I say try whatever might work and find what works for you.
    Some folks say that can lead to infections from the cat being in the litter box, but I personally haven't actually seen a case where that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.