Tooth decay and wet cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pringles, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Has anyone else noticed dental problems with cats only on a wet food diet? Its been about a year since our last vet visit and I think my cat may have lost one of her bottom fang teeth. Last year vet said teeth looked fine. Just curious.

Thanks.

2. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

If you're concerned, try giving your cat a piece of raw meat (like raw chicken wings or necks). The fibrous chewing and tearing of raw meat is how wild cats keep their teeth clean, and it works well for our guys, too!

3. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

How old is your kitty? Cat's teeth vary like people's teeth do. Some people can take great care of their teeth and still start loosing them in their 50s or 60s. Other people can treat their teeth poorly, and still have all their teeth in their 80s. Cats are the same. Some cats can naturally lose their teeth in their early teens. Others can be 19 or 20 years old and have never had a tooth problem in their lives. You can reduce the chance of losing teeth with regular dental visits and cleaning, but you can't fight nature forever.

4. christine + scoop

christine + scoop Member

I am not sure where I read it but something I was reading said it has been proven that there is no correlation between wet food and teeth issues - you may want to research that further. I was concerned about this as well, so we started brushing the cats teeth every few days. It has really helped with Spike's pink gums.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I have had 6 cats in the past 10 years.

The purebred Manx (2) both had poor teeth, and have lost and/or broken many. The first couple of dentals were years ago while they were both eating Science Diet dry food every day. (before diabetes dx)

The Maine Coon has bad teeth - he needs a dental now to pull another one after just having a dental last year and having teeth removed then.

The "mutt" cats -- mixed breed -- all have great teeth and have not lost or broken any, nor have they needed a dental.

So in my opinion, I think breeding/genetics plays a bigger role in dental health than dry versus wet diet.

6. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I definitely agree that wet is no worse than dry but the bottom line is that BOTH forms of food do zippo nada to promote healthy teeth.

If you look at what a cat eats in the wild...ripping through and gnawing on bones, tendons, ligaments, hide, fur, and meat......... it is no wonder that many of our cats have lousy teeth.

My Robbie needed dentals every 6 months - no exaggeration. He is 9 years old and has had many dentals.

FINALLY.....his lazy vet caregiver (that would be me....) started brushing his teeth 7 months ago. Robbie is the tall, dark and handsome man that I sleep with and he now has kissy sweet breath at all times.....and....no tartar on his teeth! (Before I started brushing his teeth, he would have very bad breath within 3 days of a dental cleaning.)

At the rate we are going, it will be a very long time before he needs a dental cleaning. Of course he may end up getting another dental problem but at least it won't be due to tartar build up.

Cats need to chew on something....chicken gizzards work well because they are tough/fibrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.