Tootsie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by AshleyDiamond, Aug 20, 2018.

1. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I've been on. For the most part things have been great with Tootsie. He is still OTJ and I have been testing randomly just to check his numbers. Last time we had him at the vet it was suggested to try to get his weight down a couple pounds and I was told he only needed about 6 ounces of food a day. We tried it for a bit and Tootsie just wasn't having it. He was starving again and acting how he did when his sugar numbers were bad. So we have been trying all different things to make him feel like he is getting more food without actually getting a ton more. I have him at about 7.3 ounces a day for the most part now. Lately though he seems like he is still just so hungry all the time. He has been grooming himself a lot lately and yesterday we found a small poop outside of his box in our family room that was mostly full of fur. Then this morning after he ate his breakfast meal he threw up at some point. He eats at 7am and we found the throw up just before 10am. My husband said it had a couple fur balls in it as well. I checked his sugar again after he told me he threw up and it was still good. I guess I am just really stressed and worried because we leave this Friday evening for our vacation. We will be gone for 8 days and I'm so worried something is going to happen while I'm away. He hasn't thrown up in soooo long and now he does the week we are leaving. Why boy why? :nailbiting:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Have you tried giving bite sized chunks of baked or boiled chicken breast to Tootsie? Idjit is a big cat also, and didn't always seem "full" after eating the wet food. I cook chicken breasts for all of us (unseasoned) and cut up half in smaller pieces, freeze flat and store in ziploc bags in the freezer. I thaw out a portion for Idjit and he happily munches away on plain chicken or mixed with his canned food. It's more dense and filling than the canned stuff. I also give him a larger chunk once in awhile, so he can be "jungle cat with dead prey", plus he gets a raw gizzard at least once a week for teeth cleaning. He gets extra protein, no carbs and he's a happy guy!

3. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

I haven't tried boiled chicken but I do give him freeze dried chicken bites in between meals. Sometimes I don't think he is actually hungry because he does leave some food in his bowl where if he was starving he would eat that. Its just whenever we are in the kitchen he begs and wants something new/different I feel like. I'm just worried now as to why he threw up this morning. Hopefully its not the start of anything serious and was just a hairball issue which caused more to come out. I've got until Friday evening to keep an eye on him for anymore changes but then we will be gone for 8 days and I can't help but to worry.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Some people give scrambled eggs to their kitty to increase food intake, protein, etc. without adding carbs.

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Try not to worry too much. Yes, keep an eye on him, and see what he does. Hopefully it was just a hairball issue. Idjit "spits up" food with his hairballs too, and it is disconcerting. Maybe try the chicken and see if he likes it, if he doesn't you can always throw it in a salad, soup or casserole for the beans.

6. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Egg yolks are supposed to encourage GI motility and move things along. A couple of articles to consider are here and here. Bama has recently been suffering hairballs and constipation after converting to an all wet diet. I just started feeding him either a hardboiled or poached egg every week. I break it up into 4 to 6 servings spread out over the week, mashed up with some of his regular food or souped up with tuna juice. I am also adding a few sprinkles of Renew Life Probiotics to his pumpkin that he gets as "dessert" with his second breakfast.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Did you change the food he gets or just reduce the amount? I was wondering if there was a change and maybe he is having a reaction to the new food. How many calories a day is he getting? That is more important than ounces since the calories in an ounce of food varies from food to food. I have seen in several places that about 20 calories per pound of ideal body weight is appropriate for an 'average' indoor cat.

Have you been packing? Is he a nervous type cat? He could know something is up, and it is making him a little sick.

Djamila likes this.
  8. Idjit's mom

Ashley, how goes it? I've been wondering what's happening with you and Tootsie.

9. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Sorry for such a late response. Tootsie hasn't thrown up since that one incident and he did good while we were away on our trip. I tested a little extra before leaving since I wouldn't have any tests done for 8 days while we were gone. I then tested the night we got home and a few times since then and they are all still really good readings.

There was no food change, that has all remained the same since we stopped the dry food. He eats fancy feast for his main meals and then 1/2 of a 1/2 shebas with a sprinkle of fancy feast naturals on top for his 2 snacks. Sometimes friskes for his snacks. For the most part he seems content. I think he just likes to push his limits to see if he can get more food. I'm not 100% sure on the amount of calories he gets each day because his flavors change everyday. He does know when its near his feeding times though. Anywhere from 1-2 hours before is when he usually gets up and moves about the house waiting lol.

I'm just so grateful he has done so well and our trip was a success! My mom said he was a good boy the whole time we were gone. Playful and all. She did say he pees a lot but I told her it's because he is a bigger boy so he has bigger pees. They aren't sticky anymore so I know that's good. Fingers crossed for continued success with his remission ;)

10. Idjit's mom

That's very good to hear and I'm glad he's doing so well. Hugs to the fur kid and I'm glad your trip went well also!
    Idjit is always up for more food also. But he looks good and seems to feel good since his remission too.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great report!