? Topical Hydrocortisone - Effect on BG Levels?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

The night before last Saoirse, in her infinite wisdom, decided it would be a really good idea to groom herself raw at the shaved site where her skin tag was removed last week. :(

Our vet is doing a house call to check on her mouth today but I was thinking of asking him for something to sooth the irritation on Saoirse's back; it's really quite inflamed at the moment.

I've looked online for skin treatments for such an issue and all the topical treatments contain hydrocortisone. Does anyone know what impact on BG might be expected if Saoirse gets a short course of treatment with such a cream?

Mogs

2. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

no clue what so ever but one thing you might want to think about is what it might do if she eats some ie licks it off???

3. Critter Mom

Good point, Julia. Her nibs is currently sporting the Cone of Shame and I'm looking to get a recovery suit for her to wear to stop her getting at the affected area. I don't know whether the suit will work but if it does she'd be able to eat and use the litter box with a lot less bother than with the e-collar - and she might be a bit happier in herself to boot. We're having a bit of a mope-a-thon here at present.

The greatest worry I have is how little Saoirse eats when the e-collar needs to be deployed, even though I remove it when I feed her. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't get enough fluids and both issues are a great source of worry (ETA: hence my looking at anything which might speed up her healing).

Mogs

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Cat girl and Julia Rae like this.
  4. Julia Rae

the only things I can think of and having asked friends is vitamin e oil.. from a cap or honey but that will drive her bg through the roof so that is out... perhaps Vaseline?? with Tabasco sauce to get her not to lick??? with these suggestions I am scraping the bottom of my out the box thinking

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Julia Rae

Poor baby... how is she going to survive the same.. have you thought of spoon feeding her or is she above such things???

6. Critter Mom

She can eat OK from the dish but it depends what humour is on her at the time how much she gets down. It's not so bad in the daytime because I can strike while the iron's hot appetite-wise, but at night it's really difficult to get her to eat much at all, even using all the coaxing tricks. Normally she'll take food from my hand when she's having appetite issues but she's having none of that at the moment, either. :(

7. Critter Mom

BTW I asked one of the vet nurses at our practice about Vaseline and she said she didn't think it'd be a good idea (but didn't offer any clear basis for this opinion). I can't Tabasco my cat! :eek: :D

Julia Rae likes this.
  8. Julia Rae

LOL like I said it was scratching the bottom of the barrel so to speak and which is worse a raw cat or a Tabasco cat??? face it after 1 lick she wont be at it again anytime soon true???

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

I'm never coming round your house to convalesce, Julia! :p

:D

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will help in Saoirse's case, but when my cats get itchy spots I use an oatmeal spray made for cats. It seems to help, but their itching is from allergies, not healing. A friend of mine uses a sulfur cream, the cream is soothing and the sulfur both heals and tastes bad.

Cat girl and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Critter Mom

@Julia Rae -

On the subject of convalescence, I don't know whether you've yet seen the pictures on this thread:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...pics-n-vid-of-her-recent-recovery-too.156996/

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Julia, for everything you did to help me help Saoirse that awful weekend when her eye started bleeding. I will never forget it to you, I will never ever be able to repay you, but if there is ever - ever - anything I might be able to do to help you or your little ones, please let me know.

This little fella has something for you:

[​IMG]

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Julia Rae and Squalliesmom like this.
  12. Critter Mom

Got a link? Or a recipe? Oatmeal is very soothing.

Mogs

13. Sharon14

The spray is one I pick up locally and I'm out of it at the moment, so I don't know the name/brand. I'm sure Amazon has some to choose from. The one I use is all natural, and I even use it on myself.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Alexi

Alexi Member

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  15. Critter Mom

@Alexi -

Thank you for digging that up, Alexi! :kiss: I've ordered a pack from Viovet UK (didn't like the Ts & Cs for the other crowd; too keen to pass on my data to third parties ... :rolleyes:).

It should be here by Friday, Royal Mail permitting.

Mogs

Alexi likes this.
  16. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

The whole tabasco discussion had me in stitches! Thank you both, I needed a good laugh! :bighug::D

ETA: Mogs, I don't mean to make light of Saoirse's problem! I sincerely hope you find a good, safe solution for her soon!

Julia Rae and Critter Mom like this.
  17. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used both the over the counter hydrocortisone cream and prescription Triamcinolone Acetonide for Badger and it had little effect on BG. The prescription was for me but my vet said I could use it for Badger.

18. Critter Mom

@Larry and Kitties -

Thanks for sharing your experience, Larry. It's reassuring to hear that topical steroids may not adversely affect BG levels.

Our vet has just been to see Saoirse and he says she has a hot spot. He was hesitant to prescribe the topical steroid cream for fear of it having an adverse effect on Saoirse's BG levels but when I said that I would prefer to adjust her insulin dose than have her develop an infection he was happy to dispense the cream. It's Isaderm; active ingredients are betamethasone valerate and fusidic acid.

Mogs

19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Can an infant onsie or t-shirt be modified for her to wear?

Anitafrnhamer and Critter Mom like this.
  20. Critter Mom

I was thinking along those lines myself, Paula, so I went online to see whether there might something along those lines specifically for cats and I came up trumps! I've ordered these for Saoirse:

upload_2016-5-4_20-53-48.png upload_2016-5-4_20-54-35.png

They are due to arrive tomorrow; I've no idea whether they'll fit her properly or, more significantly, how they'll be received but fingers 'n' paws crossed, eh?

In the meantime I got an anxiety wrap from the local pet shop this arvo to see whether that would tide Saoirse over till the morrow. Talk about a lead balloon! Her Ladyship was fairly OK with the wrap itself but when I fitted the rear leg straps? Suffice to say I was most definitely not flavour of the month.

And the afternoon went downhill after that ... :(

Mogs

21. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Those are SO adorable!!! I hope Saoirse will wear them. She will be the "cat's meow" sporting one of those tops ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Julia Rae

Huggles your more than welcome Mogs we are a family and that is why we do the things for each other. Your so very welcome and I am glad to be of assistance.

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Julia Rae

Oh my some how I am not in the least bit surprised by her lack of pleasure with the experience of the shirt. I have yet found a cat that will put up with anything that mashes their fur or cramps their style!

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Have you tried a soft E-collar? Alot of folks in the pet cancer support group Im in on facebook have used them with great success. I have to put antibiotic cream on cooters foot, and its like crack to him. He tries to lick it right away. It hasnt made him sick, but I put a baby sock on his foot for an hour or so to keep him from getting at it. The soft collar can be flipped the other direction as well, maybe cover where the area is shes getting to?

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Soft-E-Fabric-Elizabethan/dp/B003XLH0E2/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1462402900&sr=8-44&keywords=soft e-collar

25. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How cute are those. Sorry she didn't like the one. I was thinking more like a sleeper especially if it's a leg area your are trying to protect. Something with selves.

26. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Mogs, for what it's worth, when IttyBit had a horrible reaction to flea bites (dry scaly skin with large scabs all over his back), I put coconut oil on him and it healed his skin in no time flat. I couldn't believe how fast it worked. Pure, Unrefined, Cold Pressed, 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I use it all the time, Boo scratched his ear raw the other day and coconut oil healed it right up. I also use it to coat any pills/capsules I have to give to make them go down easier. All my cats love it and I love it in my coffee. It's my once a day treat.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Thanks for this tip, Liz! The skin on the affected area of Saoirse's back is really dry and crusty so something with emollient qualities would really help. I'm going to try this. I've just checked on Amazon and I've found a suitable product for delivery tomorrow.

Was it soothing for IttyBit, Liz? I'm desperate to find comforting things for Saoirse; she's had a lousy couple of days. :(

Mogs

28. Sharon14

Sorry Saoirse is have a rough time. As for the coconut oil, it's definitely worth a try. I took care of a Persian once that had an itchy skin condition. They had tried several things, finally they shaved her long fur and gave her daily massages with warmed coconut oil. Worked like a charm! Felt really good on my hands too!:rolleyes: Healing vines for Saoirse and :bighug:for you!

29. Critter Mom

That's interesting. Due to my OCD I get really sore hands from constantly washing them. Maybe the coconut oil will be a help to both kitty and bean! :)

Mogs

30. Sharon14

I hope it helps you & Saoirse. I'm glad this was brought up, because I had forgotten about it. We used organic, virgin coconut oil, warmed it to a liquid, then massaged it in. It felt wonderful! Think I'll pick some up today myself!

31. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Mogs! I swear by aloe vera gel. I put in on my dog's hot spots and it stops it in its tracks. Also has lidocaine so it nubs it and they leave it alone. There are several brands out there, I get it at the drug store. It's the kind you put on a sunburn to ease the pain. I also use it on Bubba's ears when they get red from too many pokes.

32. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I'm sorry to hear sweet Saoirse is having a bad time of it. The coconut oil made Ittybit feel so much better, besides healing, it also eased his itchies tremendously. Most cats love the taste so you'll have to keep her from licking it off, but It won't hurt her if she does.
    I sincerely hope it helps her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Mogs,

Thinking of you both...let us know how your new product pans out.

Dawn :bighug::bighug:

34. Squalliesmom

Sorry to hear Saoirse is still having a tough time of it. The coconut oil sounds like a good option to try! Fingers and paws crossed that it helps her (and you, too!). :bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Critter Mom

Hi everyone,

Had to stop the steroid cream because I think it's hurting Saoirse (growled at me when I put it on earlier today). My friend picked up some coconut oil for her today so I've started her on that. How often should one apply it each day?

Saoirse's skin is so sore! :( It has developed a crust where she was worrying at it. The kitty t-shirt made her more miserable than the e-collar so we're back with the latter now. Thankfully she has worked out how to eat from the high bowl I bought for her after her op and I've started her on cyproheptadine so she's eating better now. It has been another lousy day in the Shire and both of us are really miserable and very depressed. :(

I hope to God that the coconut oil will speed her healing. I'm also praying for her fur to grow back as soon as possible. I've no idea how long I'm going to have to keep the collar on her; it's really getting me down because she hates it. :(

Mogs

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  36. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

37. Critter Mom

Sarah Smith likes this.
  38. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Any time :) Are you using a regular E-collar on Saoirse Mogs? I wasnt sure if you had seen my post on the soft ones or you were already using/had tried them. They have inflatable ones as well, look like travel pillows

39. Critter Mom

I'm hanging fire on the soft collar for now, Sarah, because I think it's actually easier for Saoirse to negotiate the food bowl with the plastic collar while I'm trying to get some rest (I remove it for her at other times). The other worry I'd have about the soft collar is that she might fathom out how to fold it backwards and get at the sore area. (She can be a bit of a determined biddy when the humour is on her.) I would far prefer the soft collar for her because it would be far more comfortable for her, especially when she's trying to sleep.

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  40. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Amazing what they can do when they put thier minds to it, even when its not in their best interest! I'm sure the coconut oil will help her get on the mend, so you both can relax. I'm sure shes they type "if im not happy, your not happy" like most cats are. Give her some scritches from me, hoping for a speedy turnaround!

Critter Mom likes this.
  41. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I apply once or twice a day. You don't have to use very much, just give the spot a good coating. I hope it works for Saoirse the way it worked for IttyBit.

Critter Mom likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

Praying the coconut oil really does the trick! Sending (((hugs))) for you and chin scritches (so as not to bother her near her sore spot) for Saoirse! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Critter Mom

Thanks for this, Liz. I want to do everything I can to help promote healing of Saoirse's sore patch with the minimum distress and discomfort to her; it's good to know that I only need to administer the oil a maximum of twice a day.

Mogs

44. Critter Mom

One thing is true; if Saoirse's not happy I'm miserable - and frantic with worry.

Mogs

Sarah Smith and Squalliesmom like this.
  45. Critter Mom

Sarah Smith and Squalliesmom like this.
  46. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Hi Mogs,

Any luck with the coconut oil? Sending you hugs...you bend over backwards for Saoirse and I know it's hard to see her uncomfortable.

Dawn :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sarah Smith likes this.
  47. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. You've both been through so much...

Sending well-wishes to Saoirse and a big hug to you, (((Mogs))).
    Really hoping things improve for you both soon.... :bighug:

Eliz

48. Sharon14

49. stacia

stacia Member

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear she's cooking up new trouble. Ripley's had issues with skin allergies (?) and I've never tried much on him in terms of oils or creams (or tabasco sauce, for that matter) because with his appetite, I'm certain he'll just decide that makes him even tastier. I usually stick with pleading and swearing - and we know how effective that can be with cats.

We're crossing all our fingers and toes and paws here that the coconut oil does the job.

50. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Hi Mogs. How are you and Saoirse doing? Did you try the coconut oil? Did it help any at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.