? Totally confused

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Misterbeesmom, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

here we are again in the Hopeless and Confused phase of the Diabetic Cycle from Hell. I do not understand these numbers at all, in general, and in particlar the last 3 days. Nice venture into blues followed by pinks, and a higher nadir than amps today. Once again i have utterly no idea what is going on or what to do, while i watch my cat acting like the uncontrolled diabetic he is.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Could well be bouncing from the nicer numbers on 10/13. Mr. B. is so accustomed to high BGs that even these blues might be "panicking" his liver. I'd say keep doing what you're doing very slowly and gradually. Others might have different advice.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like classic bounce to me too. I wish I had better advice but I think you're doing the right thing for now.

4. Misterbeesmom

Thank you both, i'll hang in there.

5. Misterbeesmom

Just asking again with todays high and flat numbers does it still look like bouncing? Is this how he can hit blues on a teensy bit less insulin and now he cant get out of the pinks on a teensy bit more insulin? Man this drives me crazy.

6. Kris & Teasel

I can't give you a definite answer, Jen, but tiny dose changes can have a big effect for some cats. Teasel is one of those. I think that for these reactive kitties it happens when you're close to zeroing in on a good dose. It can drive you nuts if you let it. There's no easy solution except to keep at it and maybe try "fat" (plunger a hair over the dose line) or skinny" (a hair under) doses around a number that looks like a decent dose. This seems to be around 3.5 u for Mr. B. at this point in time. I emphasized this because what a good dose is will likely change, often in a downward trend, as you get a better response to the insulin. There's just no substitute for time and patience in getting there ...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  7. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm sorry Mr.B is so frustrating for you right now, Jen. My Hermione is being extra crazy-making at the moment, so I totally understand. The only good thing is you're not alone! Everyone's here to support you and offer experience and advice.

:bighug:

8. Misterbeesmom

I dont know if this amps was a one-off or if the bouncy has stopped, but i tried your skinny advice last night. Not sure if that attributed. He had his last dose amoxycillin 2 days ago. Maybe that played some part. I dont know. Too many variables and hard to know even on a good day what is the cause for what!

Glad to see a relatively low amps today, whatever the reason.

9. Kris & Teasel

Very nice number, Jen! :) Yes, there are many variables in play but you tweaked a dose very slightly and there was a result, a good one. This is the sort of experiment I carry out on Teasel all the time. I had no idea how reactive he was to very small dose changes until I began trying it out. Look at his SS to see what going from 2.3 (already half way between syringe barrel marks) to a skinny 2.4 u (plunger just shy of the 2.4 u mark) did to his AMPS after a bunch of pinks - a "no shot" AMPS today! :confused: His responses would make me crazy if I let them. And I know for sure that he can get stuck in bounce numbers and the only thing that will shift him is a dose tweak so his "good" dose is a constantly shifting target. He doesn't follow any of the rules. The BG test results and SS "patterns" are my window into his FD world.

If Mr. B. is like Teasel I'm more than willing to help you try to figure it out but there probably won't be any easy answers. Over time, though, you'll become more confident in deciphering SS patterns, experimenting with tiny dose changes, predicting what's likely to happen, etc. These boys will never be "try a few doses, find one that works, and leave it at that" kitties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.