TR vs. Go slow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzanne Burton, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how many started out with tight regulation vs. the go slow method. Because I have a diabetic dog, the TR goes against what we do with pups. I'm just 1 day into this and I've only been testing at fasting because his numbers have been so high. I drove myself crazy over-testing when my sugarpup was first diagnosed and don't want to do that again if not necessary.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

TR only requires that you test 3 times a day (preferably at least 4)

Always before feeding/shooting to make sure they're high enough for insulin at all, and then (if possible) at least 1 test mid-cycle (between 5-7 hours after the shot) on the AM cycle and then at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle. If you can't test mid-cycle during the AM cycle due to work, it's even more important to get a couple of tests on the PM cycle.

Most cats go lower at night so it's really important to get that "before bed" test in.

It's fine for you to post here in the Main Health forum, but over in the Lantus Forum you'll get people who only use Lantus, Basaglar and Levemir (all the depot insulins)

Tomlin and Suzanne Burton like this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

TR gives LT the best chance at remission though. It allows you to increase the dose as often as every 3 days (6 cycles) if it's not getting LT where you want him.

SLGS has you hold the dose for 7 full days before increasing. That can be hard to do, especially when you see high numbers like LT's right now.

You can always start with TR and go to SLGS later (or vise versa)

I was a testaholic with China....I wanted to know exactly what was going on inside her body so I understand the feeling of driving yourself crazy with testing!

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  4. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I chose SLGS because it seems very methodical, safe, and balanced to me. I work full time, but I could do TR if I wanted. Jackson is doing quite well, I think. I do feel the need to make sure we spend time as buddies and not just as patient/caregiver. It’s easy to start worrying every time I think about him, instead of just enjoying his company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.