Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucy, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy

Lucy Member

Hi,
    My cat wS diagnosed in October but after 4 or 5 months on lantus and young again zero carb dry she has been off the juice for months! I am pretty happy but the you g again food is inconsistent in size and seems difficult for her to eat sometimes, although she likes it. I just read online that TJ's Tuna for Cats is zero carb. Is this too good to be true? I bought some tonight and she loves it! It is really gross looking, red and pate. Ble k. I am sure it is low quality.....

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

3. Lucy

Lucy Member

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Dr Piersons is 2012. Janet and binky is 2008.scheneyder is 2007. I would go with the most recent..

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

One thing to be aware of is that it's not recommended to feed cats fish more than once or twice a week. That being said, since she's liking the wet food now at least, I'd think it's better to keep feeding her what she's willing to eat to fully transition her off the dry while trying other non-seafood flavors so you don't start exclusively feeding her seafood only. Others might disagree, but IMHO, wet seafood every day is better than the lowest carb dry food. For other options, I'd recommend looking into the Tiki Cat chicken varieties as well. They're similar texture to the TJ's and are zero carb and don't contain fish.

6. Lucy

Lucy Member

Thanks! She is a little skinny. She loves Organix but it is too high carb. She likes the young again but often can't be bothered to get up for it (her back legs are wobbly due to neurological disorder) but she LOvED the TJ's Tuna for Cats. It is hard not to give her what she likes.

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Any chance that neurological disorder is diabetic neuropathy? If so, not sure if you already know this, but methyl-b12 is known to work wonders on reversing it at least partially if not fully (zobaline is the cat version).

8. Lucy

Lucy Member

Thanks but she has had it for years. We tried the methyl B for kicks anyways but to no avail. :( she gets around ok thiugh. It just takes a little patience. :)

9. Lucy

Lucy Member

Is 5% ok? Especially after a 'zero' carb diet?

10. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Anything under 8-10% is good they say. Glad your kitty is eating wet food now.

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. :sad: Was hoping there might be an easy fix. ;-)

IIRC, I believe someone calculated the YA 0 Carb out to actually being around 3%. As Simon'sMommy said, anything under 8-10%, the lower the better. For Michelangelo, he's super carb sensitive to anything over 5%. Anything under 5%, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

12. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Have you tried using the TJ's as a way to get her to eat other food ?
    Mix it in w/ other low carb wet or put it on top or both.
    It is such stinky smelly stuff that mixed in/on top might get her to transition.
    As others have said, fish all the time is not a healthy diet. But a little w/ the other, if that's the only way she will eat it would be ok. She might even get to eat the other food alone.

13. Lucy

Lucy Member

She likes the other food, and will eat it every time I give it to her, but she couldn't be bothered to use her wonbly legs to get up and eat half the time. I thought the tuna would fatten her up a bit as she likes it A LOT. ;)

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Using some tuna and gradually mixing in a kitten food (ex Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets Kitten) may help put some weight on. Kitten foods are designed for growth and development in kittens and pregnant or nursing queens (mom cats by any other name!).

15. Lucy

Lucy Member

That's a great idea!

16. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that you could also put a little of FF Appetizers on top of the food you want them to eventually eat. I have been doing that with my stubborn 13 year old who refuses to transition to raw. She can't help but get a taste of the target food while trying to get the chicken shreds off the top. ( Also, I just learned that Lotus canned is not a good food for FD. Yikes - no wonder my numbers are high this week. I will have to educate the rep from the nutrition store who recommended it to me.)

I try to stay away from tuna because if I give them a taste then they won't eat anything else for days and we have to go through the transition all over again. But--if it is all he will eat and he can get some kitten food in along the way, I would think that that would strengthen him and that's what is important now. I also use FortiFlora on top of the transition food to lure them to a better diet.

I guess the point is to get him strong and then wean him slowly off the tuna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.