? Trampoline bouncing numbers? AMPS 259 | +3 413

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Panic's numbers are very perplexing to me right now...

In the past 10 days she's earned two reductions (from 1.4 to 1.2 to 1u) due to very low numbers. So far on 1u she hasn't gotten into any good non-diabetic numbers but I'm seeing some cycles where her BG is going UP after insulin. As stated in the title, today her AMPS was 259 and I was thinking whew, maybe she's cleared a bounce or something - but just now at +3 she's skyrocketed up to 413!

Definitely wasn't any contraband for her to get into, her BG isn't even hitting mid-blues so I would assume another reduction is unnecessary. I can understand yesterday's cycle possibly causing a bounce since she went from 414 to 224 by +3.

Do I go back to 1.2u maybe? Or hold the dose and idk, get some post nadir tests in?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, it looks to me like Panic dropped lower last night than you are aware of and is now bouncing. I say that because of that lower AMPS today. It suggests Panic may have had a later nadir last night and while she didn't drop off a lot in the first three hours, she did in fact drop which often happens on an active cycle. I wouldn't increase again until that bounce clears and you can get a few more mid cycle tests to ensure you know how low that 1u dose is taking her.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking a look Linda! So if I'm understanding right, this morning's low AMPS was actually her already working her way up due to a bounce and it just became more obvious at +3?

And with that in mind, if I don't see an obvious drop in the first few hours (like last night) I should consider getting a later test to see if her nadir is extending a bit, thus me being able to catch some lows later than anticipated?

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Rule of thumb generally is that if +3 is lower than PMPS then it's likely to be an active cycle. With the small drop in that period last night, it wouldn't be expected that Panic would have dropped to the degree it appears she did but it happens. If BG is higher at +3 then we'd expect it to be a quiet cycle. If BG hasn't moved, it could go either way.

You're right. I think she was starting to climb by AMPS. Sneaky girl!

Panic likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom Hi Linda, when you have time, could you peek at Panic's SS again? I just can't figure out what's going on. Her preshots are still nice and yellow mostly but her cycles seem to be flat or increasing after shot-time. I was prepared to increase her to 1.2 when she went from 219 @ +2 to 148 @ +3 on the 26th. I was going to test her at +4 but my alarm didn't go off so by +5 she had already started bouncing. Tonight I tried to catch her early at +2 but her BG was higher than PMPS already (food talking maybe?). I just can't figure out when I need to test her to see what's happening?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

While she's still getting down to mid blues now and then, I do think a tiny increase to 1.2u might help get her down just that little bit more but I'd do it when you can monitor closely. It looks like she's bouncing every time she hits blue. You weren't able to get a pre-shot the other night and don't know what BG was to start the night cycle on the 26th but she dropped to 148 which is good. Yes Panic has the odd cycle where the +2 or +3 is up but they are very infrequent so I don't think they are indicative of anything specific that you can put your finger on.
    Let's see what she can do with a little increase.

Panic likes this.
  7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's so odd to me, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since she likes throwing me for loops. Thank you so much for taking the time to peek, I'll be home tomorrow so I'll watch her with the increase then. <3 And yes, I really wish I knew what her PMPS was the night she dipped to 148, part of me wonders if maybe my brother who did her shot gave her a little more juice than intended or it was just a well-timed fluke. :rolleyes:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sometimes a test has to be missed but of course it's always those times when kitty does something that makes you wonder what that missed test would have been. That;s just part of this sugar dance! :cat:

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You got that right! :woot:

10. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I ended up doing an unintended curve today at her 1.2u adjustment and she basically gave me an inverted curve. :confused: Started at AMPS 209 and by typical nadir she was up to 281, then started to dip back down. Last night she was down to 150 at +7 though.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Panic was pretty flat all day and that inverted curve could just be something called New dose wonkiness (NDW). Sometimes those flat cycles happen before a more active cycle. Let's see what she does tonight and tomorrow.

Panic likes this.
  12. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Ooh a new term! :p I was wondering if today's curve was similar to what she's been doing now and then with going up a tad and then back down for PMPS. I won't have any mid cycles for tomorrow and Sunday's AM but hopefully by Monday she'll be adjusted to the increase. Eager to see what she does tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.