Transition back to food without spiking BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tisha's_Person, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tisha's_Person

Tisha's_Person Member

Quick update for those who aren't familiar with our situation: Tisha spent the last week in and out of the hospital with pancreatitis. After 7 days of barely eating, not eating, and being syringe fed in the hospital, she is just starting to really eat on her own today. The vet originally wanted to keep her off of insulin because her numbers were just up and down on her last curve and she thinks she might go OTJ. She originally wanted us to do a curve without insulin today, but after we discussed how far off of normal she is, we agreed to just monitor twice per day for this week. On the first stick, she was at 408. She has not had insulin for about 2 weeks, and it has been very stressful for her this week, so it's hard to know what to think of that number. After talking to the vet, I did give her .5 of Lantus. So, do I need to get some mid-cycle numbers today to make sure that she doesn't go hypo? It's hard to know where her nadir is because she's never really had a "normal" curve.

Any suggestions? Do I just go back to the start and give her .5 for about a week then see where she is? I know we need to get the food back to normal, but I would really like to avoid DKA and a trip back to the hospital. We have already spent a small fortune in the past week at the vet's.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd stick with the 0.5 units and let it stabilize over about 5 days, since you are re-starting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.