Transition from FF not going well!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

We've been trying to find a new food for Kitty. When Fancy Feast changed the labels, his usual Tender Beef Feast raised his numbers (and he didn't like the pate consistency, either).

We just had another major barf session -- this time after feeding Sohisticat Beef.

So far we have tried:

Wellness: BIG barf session. We thought it might be the higher fat content.

Evo 95%: Because of the higher fat content of this food too, I mixed it with a little old-label FF. He liked it. Then I refrigerated it, and heated it up the second time. No go.

Sophisticat Beef: Ate it. 20 minutes later... barfed it all up.

Kitty is not the barfing type, BTW.

Today I bought some new-label FF Chicken Feast. I know the new beef raised his numbers, but I thought maybe the chicken wouldn't. He tolerated the chicken in the past.

Kitty is now at .25 and well on his way to earning his next reduction. I have that I have to change his food now, but I'm running out of old-label food and options.

Ideas, anyone?

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Isn't it frustrating?!?! My kitties' favorite is the old label Beef and Liver. I hate that once I run out of the current stock they can never have it again. :sad: I spend more time on investigating new food for them than anything else.

One of the options that I've had good success with that I don't see in what you've tried is Purina Pro-Plan. I cannot find the Adult Beef and Liver, which has the best Protein/Fat/Carb balance that I can tell, but I have had good success with the Adult Chicken & Liver. Its consistancy is closer to the old label FF I think.

I've seen high recommendations on Merrick Cowboy Cookout and Grammy's Pot Pie but haven't been able to try them myself. I've found two places that sell it locally, but they are quite out of the way so I haven't made it there yet. Mine do well with the Sophisticat so that is giving us a variety while stretching out the supply of old label FF.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy
    Did you try any of the friskies or walmart's special kitty?
    We are only using the new label FF and have not had any problems.
    Max never knew the old beef labels because we cannot get them in Canada so I
    only brought them home about 6 weeks ago and that's whene his numbers started to
    drop as well.
    I know how frustrating it can be a food they will like and with Kitty at .25, you are so close to
    not want to muck it up.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Any other kitties get higher BG from new FF?

Randi,

This is an interesting question -- maybe Kitty's numbers went up because of something else, not the new-label FF. He had been so green, so long -- then a sudden rise. But if Max is on the new stuff without trouble, maybe Kitty was reacting to something else.

I still have the problem that Kitty doesn't like the new FF. But he isn't liking much of anything.

I just hate to take a chance at this delicate moment in his dosing!

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

this may not be a problem since Kitty was eating FF beef before, but if I feed any beef at all, one of my civvies gets major projectile pukus. That's how I know there must be real beef in Fancy Feast, because he does it with FF too. :lol: Maybe it's a beef issue and not necessarily a Fancy Feast issue.

6. Kathy and Kitty

I don't know, Libby -- he's been eating Tender Beef for months. :?

Wow, at least you have a built-in food quality detector! :lol:

This is his second major pukus on an attempted new food -- the first was from Wellness Chicken dinner.

Maybe Purina Pro-Plan is my next move. But I'll feed him old-label FF for a couple of days, just to give him a sense of consistency and let his stomach settle.

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Its funny Kathy because I was in NY last weekend and was going to pick up some of the
    sofisticat that I have heard so much about.
    Then like you, I was not going to mess with anything and that day was the day he did not
    have his night shot and went to gum trial.

This morning I had huge cat pukus in my bedroom, not Max, and I think I put the beef
    in the feeder last night.

I do notice that the new Ff is a lot softer than the old one but our choices are very limited.
    I finally found the chopped grill that others have said their kitties like. Never saw it before.
    They seem to like it. We use all of the flavours, except the fish ones.
    I have been reading about everyone's problems with the new food and I was saying to my DH maybe he started doing well since I started importing the US cans.
    I used to feed my gang friskies at the beginning of d/x, then switched to the FF. I have nothing else in my house.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gabby doesn't have vomiting issues with beef flavors but I do run into major liquipoo problems. She even reacts to the FF chicken and beef. I believe that beef is one of those things that kitties are prone to be allergic to.

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

mocha stopped eating the FF turkey and giblets. We switched her over to the wal mart special kitty turkey and giblets. I know it is not as good of a quality as FF (is that saying anything?) But she gobbles it up every single time it goes in her bowl. Also, and not that this is a deciding factor for us or not, but her FF was running us around 13.00 a week, the wal mart special kitty is running us 4.00 a week. We would have continued to pay the 13.00 a week for FF if she was eating it even though that makes it hard to shop on the weeks she needs food, syringes, litter, test strips, lancets and syringes! Ouch!

10. Kathy and Kitty

Just an update: Fed Kitty the Fancy Feast Tender Beef after the big pukus yesterday, just because he needed to eat.

His numbers through yesterday: 70s.
    His number this morning: 104.

If I could only get him to eat something else! :roll:

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Kathy - did you try the Sophisticat Salmon or Turkey & Giblets?

12. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Paige --

I fed the Sophisticat Supreme Beef Dinner. Supposed to have carb content of 4, same as Tender Beef. It had lots of juice -- not thick enough to look like gravy.

13. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA) Member

Both of my girls slowly stopped eating the new label FF and a few days ago they just about quit eating altogether. We tried 9-Lives with no luck so we moved on to Friskies and they both love it! I have yet to get a test in since the food switch but the carb content on the flavors we're using, according to the charts is just about the same as the FF so I'm not worried. I just wanted them to eat something.It has a good amount of gravy/juice in it and we add some water as our cats like mushy/soupy food best. For treats we'll also add in some FF appetizer (chicken or chicken/beef) and they gobble it right up. The only negative we've found with Friskies is that Walmart (here at least) does not carry the Special Diet flavors that they eat so we have to get them at grocery store prices. But it's still cheaper overall compared to FF so it's worth it. Plus, they seem to have better "litter box action" as well. :lol:

14. Kathy and Kitty

That is so tactfully put! :lol:

Today Kitty ate FF chicken feast -- old-label - and got good numbers.

The Sophisticat has lots of juice -- I thought that would be great, but instead, all it got was pukus. So maybe Friskies is the next thing to try.

Fussy eaters. Bah. :roll:

15. Kathy and Kitty

Good suggestion about transition

Jill just posted the following in my Lantus condo, and I wanted to share:

\

I think I've been going about it the wrong way -- just trying a new food all at once, maybe several over a couple of days. Jill's idea makes a lot of sense. I will begin adding tiny bits of Wellness to the old-label FF and take my time switching him over. Thanks again, Jill!

16. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Beef is high on the list of possible food allergies for cats.

Allergies can develop even if it has been fed successfully before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.