? Transitioning a Non-Diabetic Cat with Pancreatitis From Kibble to Wet Food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JunieBee, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunieBee

JunieBee New Member

Hi everyone! I'm very new to these forums. I joined because I initially believed that my 6 (7 next month) year old boy Milo's severe pancreatitis may lead to diabetes. He's been showing signs of pancreatitis since the beginning of last month, with a spec fpl of 5.3. We proceeded to treat him with two courses of antibiotics, only to find out two days ago that his levels had increased from 5.3 to 7.9!

His doctor recommended an abdominal ultrasound to rule out any underlying causes, but before I spend $500 on a test that may or may not find anything, I would like to try adjusting his diet. As of right now, he's eating Purina Focus kibble for urinary health. I've heard that the low fat diet is the best for kitties with pancreas issues, and wet food is even better than kibble.

Milo has always been free fed on kibble. My question is: what is the best food for cats with pancreatitis and how would I safely transition him from kibble to canned food? Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

JunieBee likes this.
  3. JunieBee

JunieBee New Member

Thank you for your reply! I wonder why the vet suggested antibiotics if there's no infection? He was put on 2 different types of varying strengths and they didn't do anything to bring the inflammation down. Obviously, now I can see why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.