Traveling Tomorrow - when to dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hmclaughlin1973, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmclaughlin1973

hmclaughlin1973 Member

Ok, so my hubs and I will be here for normal morning dose time, but will be leaving around 430p for the evening and do not have anyone who can dose and feed PJ at his normal time of 7-730p. Would you test, feed and dose at 430p? Wait until you return at 11p-12a? OR skip dose but have kids feed (kids will be home at 830p and can feed but just not give him insulin) at around 830p?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation coming up soon and I plan to skip and have someone feed as normal. Then resume my regular schedule the next AM.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

since 4:30 will be only 3hrs earlier than normal injection time and numbers are still in the pink/yellow, i personally would give a small meal (still having kids feed him at 8:30 too) and give 'half' of normal dose before i leave instead of skipping dose or waiting till 4-5hrs later than normal time. i however do not know how vetsulin insulin works so can't really tell you that is what you should do too for sure

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

We are on Vetsulin, and I routinely need to alter dose times (I work doubles once a week every other month), and I have found I can get away with dosing 2 hours later/before as necessary when I'm home late. Since Vetsulin is an in-and-out insulin, I can alter the times as needed. You honestly have a couple of options here, as long as PJ hasn't had any DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) issues.

• You can ease your mind and just skip the night's dose and start fresh in the morning. His numbers may be a bit higher, but just dose your usual and continue from there.
    • You can check his BG to see if it would be safe to dose early at around 1600 (4pm). I see you don't have many recent mid-cycle tests, so it's hard to know when his nadir is. Usually with Vetsulin, the nadir is 4-6 hours after the insulin dose, but things can sometimes change. For example, my buddy Lou is currently peaking at 6-8 hours after his insulin dose, which is just weird (for me). If he's at a "normal" preshot, you could try dosing as usual, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to dose a smaller amount (0.5u - 1u) to give him something. If you do this, note he will likely be higher if you dose at your normal time in the morning (since he's had more time for his BG to climb).
    Ultimately, it's up to you what you want to do. Vetsulin can be a bit more forgiving as far as dosing times, but between you and me, I only have experience with dosing 2 hours outside my normal time (and frequently an hour off here and there). At the end of the day, it may just be easier to skip and start fresh in the morning. At least you won't have to worry while you are out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.