? Traveling with Ziggy for Thanksgiving...how to prepare?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

So because nobody will be around to take care of him for the six days I'll be at my parents' house, I am planning on taking Ziggy on a road trip. It's a six-hour drive, and there is nothing Ziggy hates more than car rides! What's worse, he hates it more and more each time. He has taken to peeing all over the place when I try to put him in his carrier, and has no qualms about peeing in there during the ride. The first time I brought him down to live with me in my new apartment, he even pooped in his carrier, but I think that was because I didn't let him out to use the backseat litterbox. I've learned my lesson there.

We're leaving on Wednesday morning after he uses the bathroom after breakfast. I am planning on placing his insulin in the case in which it was delivered, surrounded by ice packs in the trunk of my car. I'll be bringing syringes, test strips, the glucometer, and a travel litterbox. My parents will be providing food and litter.

My biggest concern is that he will make a mess in his carrier and be miserable and stinky for the rest of the ride, or possibly even track poop or pee all over my car and my stuff when I let him out to go potty (plus, I'll have to clean him in my parents' garage when I get there -- no way they'll let him in the house with poop all over him!). I'm planning on stopping every two hours to let him use the litterbox (unless he signals he needs to use it right away; then I'll pull over and let him do his thing). But getting him back in the carrier is such a hassle! I have nightmares thinking of him peeing all over my computer tower, or even escaping if I have to get out for any reason. :arghh:

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to transport a cat who hates traveling, or traveling with diabetic cats in general?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What about buying a larger carrier which will fit in a litter box as well as water and some food. That way, hopefully he will pee in the litter box and you won't need to stop every two hours.
    I would be worried my cat would get out of the car if I stopped mid trip.
    Good luck

3. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I thought about getting a larger carrier, but that's way too expensive for me right now. Ziggy doesn't leave me with very much spending money, I'm afraid. When my mom brought him downstate so I could pick him up at the halfway point between my parents' house and my apartment, she had let him out of his carrier a couple times so he could use the litterbox, then she just put him back in with no trouble. She didn't even have to leave the driver's seat. But when I put him in the carrier, it's a huge struggle. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to leave the car at all.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Could you borrow a larger carrier?
    Also what about a feliway collar to help calm Ziggy?

6. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Thanks for the links, @Jill & Alex (GA)!

I don't know anybody who has a carrier larger than Ziggy's. His is quite shabby and old, too. I saw some nice ones at PetSmart today, but even a new one at the same size was just too expensive for me right now.

I also found some Feliway accessories and sprays, but again, everything was $40 and up, and I need that money for gas for the trip. :(

I'm not in a position where I can buy anything new for this trip, unfortunately. My mom is buying a Feliway diffuser for their house, because Ziggy and their cat hate each other and always fought when they lived together (well, Ziggy hates all other animals and attacks them anyway, whether dog or cat).

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Do you have a Facebook page of your local area where you could ask if someone has an unused or old larger carrier you could borrow or have cheaply or to give away?

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you had more time, I'd suggest starting to take him for very short rides....even just taking him out to the car, starting it, giving him a treat or lots of praise and taking him back inside. Most of the time, cats hate riding in the car because it always takes them to the vet. By going VERY slowly and helping him to associate the car with something good can make a big difference!

China used to hate being in the car too. She'd scream so loud passing cars would be giving me dirty looks like I had kidnapped a child. She'd also pee all over herself and throw up. I was going to be taking my mom on a vacation and needed to take her with me so I started very slowly getting her used to being in the car.....when the time came, I was able to put her in a harness and she slept on the back seat most of the way.

Another thing to find out is how Ziggy travels best. Some cats do better in a carrier. Some do better with the carrier on the floor of the car, not the seat. Some do better with the carrier completely covered with a towel or blanket. Some do better if they're not in a carrier at all (but this is best if you have someone else with you that can make sure they don't interfere with the driver) and they should always be wearing a harness/leash.

You might ask your vet to give you something to help make his ride a little less stressful like gabapentin....It should be pretty cheap and can help take the "edge" off.

Natalie and Ziggy likes this.
  9. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

If I recall, you're in/near Portland? I'm a little south of you (Berwick) and have lots of crates in various sizes if you'd like to borrow one. You could put a cat carrier inside the crate for a bed, with the door tied open, and still have room for a litter box.

10. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

How about putting puppy pee pads down inside the carrier, and on the car seats, so if/when he pees, it's immediately absorbed, and at least isn't free liquid to soak all over him?

If you can't get or borrow a larger crate (and check craigslist and facebook sale sites), what about setting up a large box like a crate, with many little holes for light and air but not escape, that you could put the litterbox and his current crate inside? I, too, would be afraid of him escaping the car if let out, and being lost forever. If you can try this box idea, or something similar, do some test runs to make sure he doesn't get so upset he works on tearing his way out of it.

Natalie and Ziggy likes this.
  11. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Great news! My cousin/landlord offered to take care of Ziggy this week while I’m gone! I thought he was going to be traveling to visit family, too, but he’s staying in the area over break. He’s been so good with Ziggy in the past, so I’ve taken him up on it. Crisis averted for now!

But thank you all for the advice — I’ll have to travel with Ziggy next month and I’ll start preparing for it right away.

@Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall That’s kind of you to offer! I will let you know if I can take you up on it. And yes, I am in the Portland area and have been to Berwick before. It’s a beautiful area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.