? Treat recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

I know a lot of y'all seem to give little bits of cooked chicken. Are there any good over the counter low-carb treats that y'all have used? What about high carb treats for low BG?

Louellen likes this.
  2. Louellen

Louellen Member

A lot of people in here seem to use the freeze dried treats (all kinds of flavours) called "Small Bites". Unfortunately, for me, my cat won't eat them. I've even gotten dehydrated fish pieces but, same thing. I think I've read water packed tuna, regular cheese pieces, crab meat...any type of meat that you can cook or doesn't have any additives (i.e.: starch, sugar etc.). I've pan fried, roasted, baked, boiled, BBQ'd and no go for me with Morrigan but, LOADs of people in here have great success with it. :)

I am hoping that there are bagged treats besides the freeze dried meats/poultry/fish as I've yet to find something that Morrigan will go for. :(
    As bad as it is, I HAVE to give her 2 or 3 Luvs treats to get the blood test done and the shot into her. (I haven't done the math on those but, I'm sure THEY are "high carb" treats).

Some people use catnip...if their cats love it. :) That has worked sometimes for me. I try that first then, if it isn't doing the trick in getting her to sit and stay, I'll resort to the Luvs.

I've never had a cat that won't eat tuna before...but I have one now!

Hoping for more suggestions that I can get up here in Canada too.

3. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

I've tried a variety, but all three of mine go NUTS over Orijen Alberta Wild Boar treats. Just a coincidence that I live in Alberta ;). They are freeze dried, but my kitties turned their noses up at other freeze dried treats. Not these ones. When they're on sale, I buy several bags at a time. I can't give just Lulu one for tests, injections, etc. because the other two are just begging for one for themselves.

Louellen likes this.
  4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I had great luck with this brand.... Fresh is Best...
    the turkey giblets crumble nicely, the hearts have a tougher outer membrane which my toothless girl can't chew well.
    the duck hearts, I crumble the inside and give the dogs the outside tough membrane.

I can mail you a sampling if you want to try before buying...
    I also give a little bit of shredded cheese.... monterrey jack or cheddar....

Louellen likes this.
  5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

We buy the Origen treats as well...Tundra is Bandit's favorite. Our local pet food store carries them, but you can order online, too. We also sometimes get the Beefeaters freeze dried salmon from petsmart.

Louellen likes this.
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I use Pure Bites as treats.

Donna F and Louellen like this.
  7. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

Pure Bites as well. Available at Petco, as well as my feed store, and the little local pet food store down the street from me, so I assume widely available. At least here in US. And it says "Product of USA" on the pkg....which I am assuming(possibly mistakenly) that it is MADE in the USA.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Reason for edit: more info added
    Louellen likes this.
  8. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

I've tried my two cats on Orijen Original (freeze dried chicken, turkey and flounder), Orijen Ranch Raised Lamb, and the Alberta Wild Boar treats Lori mentioned, and they both love all of them. They're all made in Canada - not sure if you can get them in the States or not.
    ETA - just saw that Julia uses Orijen as well, so I'm guessing that you can get them in the States

Louellen likes this.
  9. Louellen

Louellen Member

I will have to look for those! I'm in Canada too (Ontario) and I haven't seen them but, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I am going out this week to find them. Thank you!

10. Louellen

Louellen Member

I haven't tried the monterrey or jack cheese yet. Ok...another one to try now. :) My previous vet (whom I called as he's moved too far away and not working full time anymore) said to find "the stinkiest cheese" I could find...even if I gagged. I laughed but, he was serious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.