Treats and Insulin dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by The Mama, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mama

The Mama New Member

I am new to posting, but have been reading here for awhile.
    Annabelle was diagnosed 20 months ago with diabetes, also had a urinary tract infection and dental disease.
    She was a dry food addict, or maybe - being the youngest of 5 pets, that's all that was left to eat! Now the other pets have all passed on, Annabelle is 14 and finally has a chance to be the one getting all of my attention.
    I started her on Vetsulin simply because it was all I could afford. She started on one unit and was moved to 4.
    I have had her under the care of 3 vets now, none of them seem to have half the knowledge that members of this board have, but they try and I think they have learned from treating Annabelle.
    She had quite a few teeth removed and was moved down to 2 units. She had been eating Fancy Feast canned along with Evo dry, since diagnosed. She did not eat a lot of Evo dry, a 2lb bag would last over a month, with half of it thrown out, mostly because she doesnt have a lot of teeth now.
    Recently she was diagnosed with beginning kidney disease, so I took away the Evo because it was very high protein, I also moved her down to one unit Vetsulin as she was having some trembling and lethargy at about 4 hours in. I have also finally started home testing, though I am not good at it yet.
    I dont expect her to go into remission after 20 months, or on Vetsulin, but maybe I can try a bottle of prozinc when this runs out, I have also noticed that vetrxdirect is now selling a lantus pen for under a hundred and they are in the US.
    So finally, on to my questions. I am getting her highest daily BG reading anywhere from 160 to 220 daily and her lowest about 66, about 4 hours in. One morning I didnt give her a shot, first time ever, and her evening preshot BG was 310. I feel like 66 is too low and am wondering if 1 unit is too much still. Honestly my vet knows less that I do about it, so there is no point calling there. Last visit she had no sugar in her urine.
    Second question, I have just discovered 2 new foods. Crave wet catfood by the people who make Evo and it is available at Walmart, and Annabelle loves it, so we are happy with that. But looking for a snack, I got a pack of Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks which she also loves. They have 30% protein, 30% moisture and with the other ingredients it leaves about 22% which could be carbs. Do you think this is too high for a moist treat for a cat with diabetes and kidney disease?
    All advise or opinions welcome, sorry this was so long!
    Oh and she is off all dry food now, she has been holding steady at 11lbs for over a year, and we live in a small rural area where there is no access to fancy pet stores or vets with more diabetic experience.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you using a human meter or pet meter?

66 is too low for a pet meter. You could do 0.5-0.75 units.

Treats.... Your best bet is freeze dried meat snacks, deli meat without fillers, and cat nip.

You don't want low protien food unless she's stage 4 kidney failure. What you want is low carb and low phosphorus. Something like weruva bff cans for that bill.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

3. The Mama

The Mama New Member

Thanks for the reply! I am still doing high protein, I just thought the dry food was way too high and a bad idea anyway. :)
    I am using a human meter. I started with a relion that I got on clearance and then went to an Easy Touch.
    66 on a human meter is different than on a pet meter?
    My Walmart doesn't have any freeze dried treats, and I hate to order things online not having any idea what she would like.
    Deli meat might be worth a try, she likes processed lunch meat but its really high in sodium.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150. Pet meters run higher.

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Re the insulin, buy it from here in Canada. You don’t need a prescription and it’s only $80 a vial (Cdn so that’s even less for you). Marks Pharmacy ships the the US for free.

6. The Mama

The Mama New Member

Thank you, I will check that out for sure. All of the pharmacies here charge at least 22.00 to ship insulin and getting my vet to take the time to authorize the prescriptions has been a pain.

7. The Mama

The Mama New Member

Wow, I just checked and Lantus is half the price. Why didn't I know this before? Thanks so much!

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Here we have a different problem - the testing strips are very expensive. A pack of $50 is $50 plus tax do basically a dollar a trip. Expensive when you’re going through 25-30 a week!

9. paris

paris New Member

Hi, I've come across this page as my cat has been diagnosed with stage 4 CRD, to be honest we are at a loss with what to do. the vet is saying she doesn't really stand a chance but from all what I've read I feel like she might, and they are not even 100% sure it is CRD unless we pay £370 more for a few lab tests. I feel like they are just telling me its the worst because at the moment I dont have the money to pay for everything they are asking. currently she is at the vet on a drip and antibiotics just incase its only a bad infection. the vet ruled out diabetes even though the symptoms are the same as CRD. I have a feeling it could be that instead of CRD or even possibly both.
    I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give you all sound like you have much more information than my vet is telling me.
    we've already paid £350 for blood test, urine test drip and overnight stay, the further £370 is for further tests at the lab to see if it is kidney failure which we thought the original tests were for

10. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ask for a copy of the blood test results and you’ll know if he has diabetes by the glucose number it will show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.