Treats for diabetic cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjtalbot, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

I was wondering what kinds of treats are ok for a diabetic cat? I know there's the site for the dry & canned foods, but does anyone have any information on the treats, as well as where you can buy them?

Thanks!

2. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

if you like to give a lot of treats, and your kitty is carb sensitive, then you might want to look into freeze dried meat products.
    http://shop.halopets.com/Natural-Treats

you can make your own treats by cutting up raw meat or boil or broil meat and keep those in the fridge.

if your kitty isn't sensitive, then temptations are big around here. They are low in calories and are well loved by most kitties.

I had a vet once tell me I could freeze canned food and use that sliced as treats.

Connie

Tonya A likes this.
  3. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Here are a few I've used - they are are basically jerky or freeze-dried meat with few other ingredients. Places like Petco or Petsmart should carry them or you can order online. Here in LA, Centinela Pet Supply has them.

http://www.catswell.com/
    http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_treats_pure_delights.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Stella-Chewys-Freeze-Chicken-Patties/dp/B000NVBVD6 (note these could be for meals, but I generally use small pieces of them as treats. They have a little crunch that's almost like forbidden dry food. Also can be crumbled over other foods, or hydrated).

Smurphette423 likes this.
  4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Question re: Temptations. Boomer LOVES them but I assumed they were high carb. He won't eat any freeze dried ANYTHING. Can I give him Temptations???? Really? Would that be ok?

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I have that same question, Temptations are OK? Baby loves those things - but has not been given any sinse diagnosis. We just give the Pure Bites Chicken Dog Treats & The Halo Freeze dried.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

List of low carb treats, if you can view it on the old FDMB: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 42,1507898

Otherwise:

Real Food Toppers
    Halo Liv-A-Littles
    WildSide Salmon
    Whole Life
    Catswell

OnlyNaturalPet.com All Meat Bites
    OnlyNaturalPet.com Freeze Dried Turkey Liver
    OnlyNaturalPet.com Poultry Crispies

Other low carb treats:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/low-carb-cat-treats.htm
    http://www.gorbzilla.com/sugarcat_treats.htm
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/homemade-treats.htm

Anything that is 100% meat with nothing else is best. There are many brands you can feed. Check the dog treat aisle for meat treats. Some freeze dried RAW patties are great for treats, just make sure there is no source of grain or sugar. Catnip and cat grass are great, too.

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Temptations contain sources of carbs and sugar: (For the beef one) Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (Source of Beef Flavor, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rice, Dried Meat by-Products, Wheat Flour, Natural Flavors, Corn Gluten Meal, Malted Barley...

I wouldn't feed it personally. But some FDMB members do feed one or two Temptations and don't see any impact on bg levels. ECID. I'm sure Baby won't miss the Temptations at all if you feed other healthier low carb treats :)

8. Nicole & Baby

Thanks for the clarification! Baby will not get them, she seems to be feasting/treating just fine on the things she can have :)

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

We use the freeze dried treats but also use turkey or chicken meat from the deli or left over meats from DH's dinner.

Bonita flakes is one of Tucker's all time favorites, sold in some pet food stores as Kitty Kaviar.

10. Traci and Boomer

FYI - Tucker is very pretty. I like his nose expecially! I don't think I've EVER seen a black nose on an orage cat. Very unique.

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Woohoo squeem! THank you so mcuh for that long list of options!!

12. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Tucker will be thrilled to hear this... he loves it when people notice him :D

He also has some black whiskers mixed in with his white whiskers, it's very cute.

13. Traci and Boomer

If we get a photo gallery on here I'd like to see a close up of that face!

Oh, and guess what? I used to live in Milford way back in when I was a kid in 3rd grade. I have a cousin who lives there now and my Mom lives in Wethersfield. I'm originally from CT but now I live in MA and work in Boston.

14. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

If Molly could type on a keyboard, and generate a sentence that is, she would brag about her Beefeaters Freeze dried Chicken Livers! She loves them so much that she begs to be tested (and unfortunately for her, so do the civies that hog her testing spot). She also loves Beefeaters brand Cod and Salmon. We get them in the local supermarket.

Hope that helps.

15. Traci and Boomer

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but what isle in the supermarket? Is that stuff in with the cat food or is it people food - eeeewwww! I've never seen anything like that it the pet food isle. :lol:

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Traci - the salmon ones really wreak but my babies love them. Definitely in the pet food isle. :)

17. Traci and Boomer

Hi, thanks. Boomer won't eat freeze-dried stuff! He's addicted to hi-carb treats that I still give him (just a couple at a time) after a test sometimes. If only he'd eat the freeze dried treats. I tried shrimp and salmon and no dice. If I could find chicken or liver I will try those. My supermarkets definitely don't carry these types of treats. I'm jealous!

18. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

I've gotten the Liv-a-littles too. Also I just got something right at Walmart... DentaFresh by Sergeant. They are freeze dried fish (they also had poultry too). As far as I can tell, they don't have any carbs. Toby goes CRAZY for them!

I can't really find anything online for them, but they say DentaFresh PES (patented enzyme system) treats for cats.

19. Nicole & Baby

20. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Cooked bacon is a good treat, especially since it is high in chromium.

I used to use the bacon bits you could buy in a jar - NOT the artificial ones, but the real bacon bits. My cats don't large large sized treats.

21. Traci and Boomer

Real bacon bits sound good and very decadent! Sorry if this is dumb, but would they be in the salad dressing isle or somewhere else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.