Trial OTJ ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Fudge, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Do you think I should be doing a trial OTJ according to my SS.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Usually you continue twice a day insulin until almost all green. I see blue numbers after skipping night insulin. See what the pros say.

Holly and Fudge likes this.
  3. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

If he is eating dry food YA all night wouldn't it be okay to get a 105 ? or no. The greens at night are because he hasn't eaten in 2 hours prior.

4. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

He hasn't had a shot in 7 cycles so he kinda is already off the juice! Maybe be prepared to dose just a few drops if he is on the rise.

5. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

So he tested a 113 this morning. I thought of shooting a few drops but thought I am here all day I will do a curve. Well, NS and just tested at a 58 !!! I think we may be OTJ ...I believe the blue in the morning is because he is eating all night and before I test him.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

If they're OTJ, low carb food should bring them down a bit. Some cats seem to just naturally have a higher bg in the morning. (Along with some people.) Normally you'd be on a smaller dose like .10 U for a while first, but see what the experts say.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Holly, I've edited my post because I was thinking you were following Tight Reg. But here is some info on remission from the SLGS sticky:

Remission:
    Remission is reached when kitty can go 14 days without insulin. Most cats will remain in the range of a healthy cat 50 - 80mg/dL (2.7 - 4.4 mmol/L) with only sporadic higher or lower BG numbers.

However, some will experience infrequent BG numbers higher than the norm. Continue feeding low carb food. Test the cat's BGs once per month. If BG numbers begin to trend upwards, it's time to bring kitty in to see your vet for a check-up. Common reasons for kitty falling out of remission include dental issues, infection, inflammation, pancreatitis, etc. Just about any illness or disease can do it.

REMISSION (Tight Reg):

From Tilly's Diabetes Homepage, Phase 5: Remission

14 days without insulin and normal blood glucose values. Most remission cats are able to stay in the normal range all of the time (50 to 80 mg/dl), although there are a few cases of sporadic higher and lower BGs. Don't stop feeding low-carb and try to avoid cortisone if possible.

Test the cat's BGs once per month.Approximately 25% cats that achieved remission using this protocol relapsed and required insulin again (frequent causes are hyperthyroidism or bouts of pancreatitis). Therefore, it is important to keep your diabetes kit up-to-date. Then you can react immediately by giving insulin and home testing. Importantly, the sooner you react to a relapse (i.e. preventing hyperglycemia and initiating other necessary veterinary treatment), the more likely a second remission will become.

The longer a cat has had diabetes, the less likely it will go into remission. Many long-term diabetics get stuck in Phase 3 or 4. Yet there is a benefit of using this method for such a cat as well: keeping the cat's BG levels as normal as possible is much healthier for it long term. Insulin requirements will often decrease to very low levels too."

Glycemic Status and Predictors of Relapse for Diabetic Cats in Remission

Here is one more link to an explanation about reductions and starting OTJ trials.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Holly, one "trick" that can bring down preshot numbers (or preshot blood glucose PMBG in your case) is to feed the cat a couple of teaspoons of regular low carb about +9. Not sure how bright and early that is for you, but if you have a timed feeder you could use it to feed him about 3 hours before your am test. That little bit of food can stimulate the pancreas to put out a little insulin, resulting in the blood sugar dropping a bit in about 3-4 hours.

Give that a try and see if it brings down the morning #s.

I'm wishing you'd gone to 0.1u before stopping insulin entirely. Are you interested/open to trying the 0.1u dose?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

I didn't realize that ...interesting !!

10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

another copy n paste from Julie :)
    I have a notebook on threads for when the time comes for us!!:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.