Tried insulin curve today on Garfield

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Garfield, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Hi ,
    I don’t have internet access to my computer right now so cannot down load templates but I checked Garfield’s sugars every 2 hours today except for 1 time ( had company) .

7:30 255 1 unit novulin n given

9:30 162

11:30 91

1:30 136

3:30 192
    7:15pm 200 1 unit given and fed- ate almost half of FF . Appetite till varies day to day .
    Wondering what this means -
    Thank you!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nice numbers!

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Th
    Thank you!
    He’s been on insulin for 9 days now- don’t really know what to expect.

4. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Wow! Awesome for first week! Are you using a pet or human meter?

5. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Relion meter- human meter

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree - nice curve for this early in your FD journey. :)

7. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Thank you
    !

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow, you got some nice numbers there! That's awesome! :cat: It would be great if you could setup a spreadsheet when you have an opportunity. :):):)

9. Garfield

Garfield New Member

Thank you - will do when I get a chance- we live in a very rural area so will need To go into town for internet. Not sure what to expect - what are normals. I think he has diabetic neuropathy also - seems weak on hind legs but my hubbie thinks he was a little stronger today.still trying to find a food he will really like . How much should he be eating a day?

10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

He could have diabetic neuropathy, or it could be a lack of potassium, also pretty common in cats with FD and having similar effects to neuropathy.

There is a formula for determining the number of calories your cat needs per day:

(weight of cat x 13.5) + 70 = calories needed

You can adjust this for desired weight if your cat needs to gain or lose weight. Also, not every cat is going to want to eat the full amount it's supposed to need every day; unless kitty is losing weight, don't worry about it too much. My senior boy Squallie is pretty inactive so he never really eats all the calories he's supposed to, but he still maintains his weight. I have two Bengals who are extremely active, and they eat the full amount, plus some. ECID! :cat:

I'm guessing you have probably seen Dr. Lisa's food chart; in case you haven't, here is a link to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.