1. Are you getting a server error? It should be solved. Email webmaster@felinediabetes.com if you're still having trouble!

Trinity crashed. BG 51

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Angie Haynie, Sep 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

1. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

Trin crashed with BG of 51. No external signs. Gave honey and syringe fed gravy food. That was at 5+, tested again, and now going to test again and update sheet.
    The only thing I did different was apply trans dermal mirtazapine to her ear today

Please see her spreadsheet for more details. I’m supposed to have an appt. tonight but don’t know whether to keep testing hourly or if now that her number is going up wait til 10pm when I usually test, feed and shoot.

2. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

I started talking about this on another post but don’t know how to post a link to that thread.

3. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

4. Nan & Amber

Nan & Amber Well-Known Member

Previous post: Do Trinity’s numbers look odd

Please test in another 30mins. The honey can wear off, we want to make sure she's coming up without it.

You're doing great!

5. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

Thank you. It is 6:30 here. Will test at 7 and update SS and on here.

6. Nan & Amber

Basic principles here:

1) when low, give some carb-y food and test every 30 mins until she is coming up
    2) once she starts to come up, hold off on more food but keep testing
    3) two safe numbers without food influence in a row, you can back off on testing, but keep an eye on her

There are some more details to all of this that we can fill you in on when the dust settles, but that's the basic strategy. We usually use 50 as the "take action" number on a human meter, but I think you were wise to go for it at 51, given how new Trinity is to all of this.

7. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

Thank you so much for this basic info. I took a picture for future reference. (I do everything on iPhone)

Gypsy's Parent likes this.
  8. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

Only rose to 89. Is she safe? If she is above 200 at 10 pm (7 pm now) should I shoot 1 unit or decrease to 1/2 unit?
    I usually go to bed an hour after her pm shot....

9. Nan & Amber

She looks good, but I'd get one more test without food influence just to be certain.

I will tag @MrWorfMen's Mom again about the dose tonight (I haven't been getting some tags, so she might have missed the earlier one). I haven't used ProZinc.

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I got the tag but had stepped out for a quick shop when the first tag came so just seeing it now along with the 2nd one. :)

Well that was indeed a surprise. Great job looking after Trinity. So glad Nan was here to help.:bighug::bighug:

For tonight I would reduce dose to 0.75u if BG is over 200. If PMPS is lower but still over 150, I'd reduce to 0.50u. If it's under 150, I'd skip.

Not sure if you fed Trinity when you got that reading of 70 but in future, if you get a number under 90, give Trinity a snack of low carb food to keep her surfing right around that level. Retest just as you did and try to steer her with food to keep numbers from falling down quite so low. That said, Trinity was still safe but right on the edge of safe.

Chances are Trinity will bounce and end up with higher BG tonight and possibly for a few cycles to come. This is normal and just a normal defense response as a result of those lower numbers today that Trinity has become unaccustomed to.

Dose going forward from tomorrow will be 0.75u provided pre-shot is high enough to shoot because Trinity earned a reduction for dropping below 90 today.

11. Angie Haynie

Angie Haynie Member

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it greatly! I did give honey and syringe feed 15 ml of puréed gravy food when I saw the 51 number. Also thanks for telling me what to expect.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It would be a good idea to make it a habit to check BG at least once on the night cycle given today's event. Grab a test every night before bed. It can provide clues that BG is going to drop a lot if BG is the same or lower than PMPS. Particularly important when BG at pre-shot isn't particularly high. ;)