Triple Threat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Delilah & Davis, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delilah & Davis

Delilah & Davis New Member

Hello. Complex issues. Could really use your help if you have this experience. Davis just turned 7 in May. He was rescued along with his sister at 3 mos of age. They are still very bonded. He was diagnosed today 6/11/18mwith diabetes. Well, to be thorough, we did a urine test and it was very positive. He’s seeing his vet later this week. He was dx a year ago next week with mild asthma. We treated him with oral steroids and when tapering he got worse so we had to leave him on oral pred and continued with inhaler and even had to increase inhaler bc it’s spring and he has allergies. Hence the asthma. 3 years prior he was dx with FLUTD. So we have a triple threat here.
    Everything was pretty much under control. Asthma was ok. He’s on prescription food for Flutd since 2015. Then late last week, I noticed he’s been drinking a lot of water and urinating multiple times a day. So, test stick confirmed he’s spilling sugar. His pred dose was tapered in half and will continue to safely taper to inhaler only as originally planned. But as you know, asthma can also be life threatening so, he must be on appropriate doses of the steroids to keep him breathing well.
    That said, I’m very upset. Extremely worried. And overwhelmed. I’m hopeful to learn a lot here. But I’m also hoping there’s other pet parents with the same triple threat of health issues my boy. If you happen to have even 2 of the 3 it could help me find my way. Ie: do I change his prescription food to a raw or other lc diet or just manage with insulin on the higher carbs but effective diet? How do I know when to give insulin and how much to give? My vet said she’s going to give him insulin and see how he does before the curve test. That makes me uncomfortable bc I’m alone here. No support. And I work full time outside of the home.
    That’s a long intro. I’m sorry. I look forward to hearing from you soon. And thank you for being here

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Hi Delilah, welcome to the best place to be if you have a diabetic cat. The people here have run into almost everything that a cat can get. You have posted on our welcome mat. With all the problems Davis has, it would be better to post your story on our main health forum. The health forum will have more traffic and catch the eyes of more experienced people. I hope to see you posting on our forum for a long time. By the way, many people here work and do a great job carring for their extra sweet kitties.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome. You will find information and support here. May I suggest you post in the Main Forum, more eyes to see, then answer questions and address concerns. It will be helpful if you can take a few minutes to create a signature that will be appended to each of your posts. Info such as kitty's name, age, weight, diagnosis date, type of insulin, type of home testing meter, the other medical conditions and/or issues, any pertinent information. This can be quickly reviewed by members who will read your posts and help with recommendations. Then you won't be asked to repeat information and members won't have to scroll through previous posts to try to find it. You can select your name Delilah in the upper right hand corner of this page, then select Signature. The information can be updated and edited at any time. Don't be sorry about the long intro, most of us arrived pretty upset and frightened. There are very caring, knowledgeable and experienced members here, who will try to help. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Delilah & Davis likes this.
  4. Delilah & Davis

Thank you for the warm welcome. It said to post here first so I did. Can you direct me which forum to paste this into? Thank you

5. Delilah & Davis

Thank you for the warm welcome and support. I’ll work on a signature and posting this in the correct forum.

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I see that you have already found your way to the main health forum. You will get a lot of support and advice here.

Delilah & Davis likes this.
  7. Delilah & Davis

Thank you for the warm welcome. Friday is our vet appt. She said i need to do what she says or find a new vet. I'll make her crazy and shd has lots of experience in this area. She seems to feel his obesity and the steroids will not likely provide an opportunity for remission so, I will be following her protocol to stabalize him and maintain him unless or until I decide to find a new vet and get risky with his insulin. She's been incredible and supportive through each illness. Open minded and encouraging. I need to trust her on this as she's never hard lined me before. She even made a hv to help me PTS a previous furkid.
    I still have a lot to learn so I'm grateful for your support and having found this wonderful forum. Hope that wasn't TMI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.