Trouble finding .5 cc needles - is 31 gauge OK?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hollymayb, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollymayb

hollymayb Member

Hello Everyone,

We currently use BD Ultra-Fine 29 gauge, 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) needles that measure in single units. As we're going to be reducing Max's dose soon, we need a syringe with half unit markings, and the only one I can find (I've called 6 pharmacies so far) is a 31 gauge, 5/8 inch (8mm) needle. Will this be long/thick enough to use?

I know I might be able to find some online, but finding a company that ships to Canada is tricky, and besides, I sort of need them now.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Holly

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am in Ontario, and I use BD Ultra-Fine II short, 3/10 cc, 8mm (5/16 in), 31 gauge needles with 1/2 unit markings.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You do not want .5cc needles.

You want:

.3cc (liquid capacity), 31ga or 30ga ( needle diameter) 5/16" = 8mm (needle length), with
    1/2-unit marks, for U-100 insulin.

The will be 'big enough'. In fact, your cat will love you for the new comfort in receiving shots.

31 gauge are almost painless.

4. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Linda and Karen have it right. I bought them at Shoppers Drugmart.
    They are more expensive than ones bought in the States or Ebay, but you have to add shipping costs. :smile:
    BD Ultra-Fine II short, 3/10 cc, 8mm (5/16 in), 31 gauge needles with 1/2 unit markings.
    P.S. around 37$ for 100

5. hollymayb

hollymayb Member

Thanks so much for all your help! The pharmacist at the Pricemart said they didn't carry them, but after about 10 minutes of me insisting they did, and that they were just *pointing* back there, I got some!

Have a great evening!

Holly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.