Trouble getting blood for testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne&Muffin (GA), Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

I took Muffin to the vet to learn how to get blood from her, as it wasn't working on my own. Even the vet tech and I working together had a terrible time getting enough blood for a suitable sample. Her capillaries in her ears are extremely tiny and gave us hardly anything at all, so we used the paw and still had to repeatedly poke the same spot and sort of move the lanceling device around to make the hole bigger and squeeze and squeeze before finally getting a useable sample. Does anyone else have a cat who doesn't want to give up blood? Are there other spots to try? There is no way I'm going to be able to do this on my own, and have no one to help me on a regular basis. I really want to start home testing, as she's not been feeling as well the last 2 days as she was her first week on insulin.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi

pretty much its the ears or paw. Have you viewed the home testing videos in this link?
    There is also one for paw testing if you haven't seen it yet.
    Home Testing Links

PAW TESTING VIDEO
    How To Do Paw Testing On Cats

Many of us have been where you are. But it does get easier. You can try offering a treat before and after to help kitty calm and it's also keeps them preoccupied when the next treat will come.
    Low Carb Kitty Treats

Have you tried the burrito? Wrap kitty in a towel or blanket like a burrito, that can work sometimes.
    But most of all, you have to stay calm and relaxed, or you cat will sense your nerves.

If it's just a matter of blood sample, you could try to increase the setting on your lancet device. Ears do heal.
    My cat hasn't been tested daily in a long time, he is in remission. But when I do grab him for a spot check once in a while, I found his ears are hard to bleed. So I "up" my lancet setting. You don't wanna know what number our device its at, let's just say it's a high setting and he bleeds real good for a test. :razz:

Keep trying and don't give up - others will help you with suggestion, just don't give up. It does get easier.

3. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hey there,
    Rarely, does anyone get it on the first few tries.
    It took me two weeks!I had to switch to the inside of the ear and "milk" it - that did the trick. I used catnip to distract her - I can do anything I want if there's catnip in the air :)
    Also, I started to play with her ears all the time to get her used to it. I would mimic what I had to do for the test so when I actually did try, it wasn't out of the ordinary for her to have me pulling, and rubbing her ears - and she loves it!
    Don't give up, Keep trying, you'll get it.

4. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the links. I've been watching them and now have renewed hope for this evening's attempt. I didn't have time to try this morning. I did try using the burrito wrapping the first time, but she was pretty docile anyway, so this evening I will try without that, as she seemed to find it a bit strange. lol I have been playing with her ears throughout the day and she hasn't seemed to mind that as much as playing with her feet. So I'll try the ear this evening. Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll keep you all updated. I will not give up!!

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Anne,

I forgot to mention, kitty ears bleed a lot easier if they are warmed up.
    Most here use the warm "rice sock" method, I tried it once and melted my rice sock in the microwave :lol: opps...so I just learned to gently massage the ears to warm them up. Often times, kitties ears will be the warmest as they are napping and its also an easy way to quickly spot check them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.