Trouble regulating.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by harleywulf, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Hello all. New to the group. Have a big boy we affectionately call "Tank". Tank is a 25 pound orange. He was Dxd with diabetes last October. He's been on Lantus ever since but it wasn't until the last 2 weeks we decided to change up his food to the Purina Pro Plan DM prescribed by our vet. His BG seems to fluctuate a lot. Vet has steadilyincreased his dosage to his present dose of 6 units. We figured his BG would be more stable now that he was on the Rx canned cat food but not so. These are his BG numbers today:

7am - 412 (before meal and insulin)
    10am - 267
    1pm - 383
    4pm - 284
    7pm - 302 (insulin administered after then fed)

Can't figure why it would go up at the 1pm testing as he had been sleeping the whole time.
    He shows no other classic signs of diabetes like weight loss or lethargy. Initially when Dxd he was consuming larger amounts of water and urinating more but that has subsided.
    Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hes on Lantus. Started at one unit initially and has progressed to six. October 14, 2017 was Dx. I do curves myself and report to my vet. Cat has terrible anxiety in the car. I use a ReliOn glucose meter. He is 7 years old and weighs 25#. The Purina Pro Plan Diabetic Canned pate is only food he gets as of three weeks ago when we switched from freefeeding dry store food.

2. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Welcome! I am new as well. I have learned so much here on this forum. Everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable. From what I have learned from the vet and from others is that a cats glucose level will fluctuate up and down all day. From what you posted above, he seems to be fairly consistent but not regulated. Meaning he is not really high then dropping real low and then real high again etc. My cat has been in the 600s and then 300s and then 400s and then 200s. Definitely, check insulin level before feeding or administering insulin. My cat was prescribed the Purina ProPlan DM as well by the vet. He ate it really well when I was switching him over. Then he was just like, No mom this is not good anymore. Also, I read an article on here that it is actually poor quality food but expensive. I chose to do the DM wet food or another brand that is not a prescription that is low in carbs. At the top of this Health forum, there is a post with a food chart with information on most canned cat food. From what I am hearing that it will take some time to get them regulated. So stick with what you are doing and stay hopeful!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  3. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Thank you. He is a eating machine so hellh eat just about anything i put in front of him. I think his previous owner spoiled him with a lot of table feeding as he's always so fixated on your hands. Yes the DM is crazy expensive at $45 for a case of 24 cans! Thanks for the tips. Good luck to you and your fur baby!

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Welcome, these people on here are great, we come to find out through here his dosage was to high so we went from 4u 2x a day to 1/2 u 2x a day, I also changed foods to ziwi airdried as treats and dr elseys clean protein wet and dry, seems to working out great. People here are amazing on helping us figure everything out, you will get it, you can email ziwi and dr elseys and they will send you samples

5. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Have you thought about switching to friskies or fancy feast? Less expensive and less carbs. My cats bg's can jump by 100 points from a couple of treats (carbs).

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. Bellasmom

Dang, yeah if the treat I give weren’t low carb so would mine, if bella smells carbs it would go up lol lol, he’s very sensitive to them carbs

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  7. Sean & Rufus

And Rufus won't eat freeze dried treats :( And the treats are hydrolyzed anyway now. those are hard enough to get. He just gets 1 or 2 now.

8. Bellasmom

Is hydrolyzed bad?

9. Sean & Rufus

No, hydrolyzed just means the proteins are broken down to a level so that it doesn't cause allergy issues. Rufus is allergic to something, but we don't know what. So he is supposed to only eat proteins that he has never had before (venison, rabbit, lamb...) or hydrolyzed because through "magic" hahaha they remove the offending parts of it somehow.

Bellasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.