Trouble with Noah's ears, again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've written about this before. Only Noah's left ear is viable for getting blood. His right ear is a vascular wasteland so that's the ear I use for his transdermal BUPE. Now the strange part. It feels like Noah's left ear is actually getting thicker. Is this even possible? Scar tissue? It's also getting very hard to get blood. I've tried 29 and 31 gauge lancets and all the sweet spots that worked before. He's very patient but he has his limits. Thankfully my meter only needs an incredibly small amount of blood. His pads are not an option.
    So what's up? Can his ear "feel" thicker? Can it be scar tissue? I've tried above, below and further in than the sweet spot, not much luck.
    Noah is my second diabetic so I've been doing this for a very long time and have NEVER had it this bad. This is my reference.

ear_01.JPG

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I don't know how often you test Noah but if you are using the same ear all the time, he could be developing some scar tissue causing the thickening and making it harder to get samples. Every cat is going to react differently as do humans. My girl's one ear bleeds better than the other but I still try to rotate as much as possible even if it means 2 pokies to get a sample from the "drier" ear. Biggest problem is that she is a co-operative little girl and always sits down in the same direction offering up the ear that bleeds more easily so I often can't reposition myself or don't want to bother swiveling her around. :rolleyes: You could try 26 or 28 gauge lancets and see if that helps. Also if you are poking from the outside of the pinna, try poking on the inside or vice versa. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.