trying hard to cope

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mouse16, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouse16

mouse16 Member

Hi, am nervous about posting.

My 'baby' (16!) Mouse was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, for the past ten days he has had twice daily injections of Caninsulin/Vetsulin 1.5 units. At first I only managed to inject in the morning as i have mental health issues (severe PTSD) which is sometimes debilitating, but now am managing twice a day.

Haven't slept properly since he was diagnosed as so anxious.

I have the Alphatrak 2 and am testing.

He seems so miserable after every Caninsulin shot for about 3 hours (BG still high), very lethargic and doesnt purr when petted. I wondered if it is too harsh and heard that ProZinc may be gentler, so I am making the switch to ProZinc, which was delivered today. Vet said to leave a gap of 24 hrs from Caninsulin before starting ProZinc. It doesnt seem possible to get Levemir/Lantus here in UK.

I hope i am doing the right thing. Prozinc is 3x the price of Caninsulin here in UK and I am on welfare, but I desperately want him to feel better (and remission would be a dream come true).

He is due to get first ever ProZinc shot tonight, vet said to give 1.5 units.

I cant imagine ever feeling calm and at ease with all this, i am terrified to hurt him when injecting, i nearly throw up before each shot. Sorry hope that isnt too graphic.

Mouse has been on low carb healthy wet food all his life, but the past 8 months I gave him Hills thyroid and i think it maybe caused the diabetes. He is now back on wet food (and thyroid is normal).

thanks for reading,
    lila

2. Fiona1

Fiona1 Member

Hi and welcome,
    I completely understand how you feel! How often are u home testing blood sugar levels? Have you seen the spreadsheets people here have to record the results? I’d suggest setting one up.
    I dont have any experience with prozinc so I will leave others to answer that.
    I am from the UK too. Which wet food are you feeding?

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Lila! Try not to be too nervous. We have all been where you are, anxious and overwhelmed. This forum is brilliant for helping you at every stage of treating FD, so carry on writing and asking questions.
    Fiona has just posted above whilst I was writing this and asked the questions I was going to ask! I have to leave here for a while now but will pop back later.
    Keep your chin up! You'll be fine!

Fiona1 likes this.
  4. Smidge

Smidge New Member

Hi Lila! Sorry I can't offer any advice - I've only been injecting Jasper for a week. I just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. When I posted in complete despair last week, people were so kind supporting me and telling me it gets better. It made me feel better just to know other people understood how it feels. try to stay strong.

Abby likes this.
  5. mouse16

mouse16 Member

Hello, wow thank you for the replies!

Have done a few morning fasting tests and then 3+ and 6+ Caninsulin. His levels are high, 24-27 mmol fasting and down to 18/19 mmol as nadir.

I have copied the spreadsheet and am going to use it once I figure it out.

I feed him Feringa and Greenwoods and Cosma, wet food.

6. mouse16

mouse16 Member

Hi Jasper, I read your post about struggling and your other kitty in hospital and I am so sorry. Thanks so much for your support despite all you are dealing with, that is very kind.

Smidge likes this.
  7. mouse16

mouse16 Member

sorry, just realised jasper is kitty oops

Smidge likes this.
  8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Read the stickies at the top of the main & prozinc forums when you can. Lots of good info. I have those same issues as you do... it does get easier with time & knowledge from this forum. Don’t be afraid to ask questions - no matter what they are. I learn new things daily. Baby & I started our journey about 6 months ago & now testing & injecting is not that difficult at all. Good luck & welcome!

9. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Morning Lila & Mouse from New Zealand .

I'm from the UK. Bournemouth in Dorset in fact. So is my very old cat Tyler. He emigrated with me. Dorset is the best place on the planet & I hope to go home one day.
    It's OK to be nervous & we talk sick and poo all the time so that's fine too.

Keep it simple and go slow. Don't be hard on yourself. It all takes time.

First: Lanctus is available in the UK for cats if that is what you want him on.

Once you are in the routine of giving him the 2 x daily shots he will start to improve.

I know you may be changing insulin but it might be good to pop into the Vetsulin Forum <------- click the link
    to ask a couple of questions of those that use that insulin.

As his numbers are high he is probably feeling mysogs and miserable from that. Not so much so the injection itself nor the insulin.

Anyway, keep on posting love. You'll get there.

10. mouse16

mouse16 Member

thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement Becky and Pusscatprince.
    That is good to know that Lantus is available in UK, i will look into that. For now, i gave him first shot of ProZinc tonight!

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Prozinc is a great insulin & the stickies on that page is what you need since you’ve just begun.
    Glad you’re here!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus is a human insulin, so you'll find it at any human pharmacy

14. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB! Most of us have shared your fears and concerns when we started this dance, so we can really relate to your distress. I can promise you, it does get easier! Before you know it, you'll find yourself an old hand at it, lol. The people here are awesome, and will help you every step of the way. :cat:

15. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your Mouse. Cute name. :) it will get less stressful. It just takes time and doing it thru the fear. Know that you giving him his insulin will eventually make him feel better. They feel icky with high numbers. But better to be too high than low. That's why it's good your testing him before each shot. Glad you are doing that!! Sounds like Mouse has a brave bean who will do whatever it takes to help him. :bighug::bighug: head bumps and chin scritches continue to ask all and any questions, someone here will be able to advise you.

16. mouse16

mouse16 Member

so moved by all your replies thanks so much!!!! wonderful to not be alone with all this!!!

17. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

You will never be alone now. You are a part of a family.

18. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are definitly not alone. Good job getting the shot done yesterday. You can do this! Sometimes music and singing can help relax a person when it's shot and test time. The syringes are so small they barely feel it. You're doing great. Good job working past your anxieties to help your cat.

19. mouse16

mouse16 Member

i like that idea about music and singing, and kitty likes music too :)
    I am using 29 G needles but have ordered 30G shorter ones, cant wait to try them as I think it'll make a difference.

20. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You found 30 gauge u40 needles or are you going to use a conversation chart with u100's?

21. mouse16

mouse16 Member

well spotted Janet, i couldnt find U40 needles with 30G so I ordered U100 and will be using conversion chart.

22. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

My Cleo was diagnosed in March. I remember how stressful it was for both of us in the beginning. I had given cats injections before but not twice a day! And blood glucose testing? Wow!

Cleo is a little champ. I am so proud of how she had taken all this in stride. She gets a treat right before and right after each injection or blood test. When she thinks it's almost time for insulin, she sits in our special injection place and waits for me. If she thinks I've forgotten, she'll come looking for me.

I never thought she would be so accepting of all this. She's not the most patient cat. But she is great. Try to stay positive and give your cat lots of praise and low-carb treats. Even if a injection or blood test doesn't go as you'd hoped, just hand over the treats and love to yourself and to him. You've both earned it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.