Trying new meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CWGQPLP/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anybody ever tried this meter? I am meter less right now and I ordered this. The reviews are great and I found it by putting “best glucose meters” in Google. Only uses .7 blood drop and here’s the great part...test strips are $9 and some cents for 50!

I’ll let you all know how it goes. Got it on Amazon.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

0.7µL is a pretty big sample size... more than double what your pet meter took.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Uh oh. I thought it was smaller :eek:

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I don’t like the Advocate. It always read at least 100 more than the Relion. Plus the strips are about 40/50.
    Oh well I’ll give it a shot :( I’m soooo dumb with math. Give me physics any day!

5. FurBabiesMama

I do not know anything about the Advocate, but pet meters (at least the AlphaTrak) do read higher. They are more accurate. A lot of people here use ReliOn meters. I have seen that the Micro and Confirm take the smallest sample size while the Prime has the cheapest strips. The Prime takes more blood than those others but less than the one you ordered; it takes .05. @AshleyDiamond mentioned in another post that she uses the Prime and that the meter cost her $9, and it is $9 for 50 strips.

6. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Boy I don’t know. By now I know how she looks when she is running in the black and the Advocate reads her all in black and red. There’s just no way. She is more energetic than she has been in years, her eyes are bright and no big pupils and the neuropathy has completely disappeared. My ReLion was giving me up to 200 lower and I believed it way more than this Advocate. The ReLion just didn’t last though so I wanted to try something else. Guess I’ll see...if the blood amount is too much for us I’ll go back to the “disposable” ReLion :)

7. FurBabiesMama

I have heard that the difference between human meters and pet meters is greater at higher numbers, but I have no idea how much difference is 'normal' to see. The AlphaTrak is the only pet meter I know (and the one most vets use), so I would not know if the Advocate one is accurate or not.

8. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I just couldn't consistently get enough blood from Grandpa for the .05 meter I started with so I went with an AlphaTrak. The difference in amount of blood needed doesn't sound like much, but it is huge in our reality. If the new meter needs even more than .05, I know we couldn't do it. Every cat is different, though. Good luck.

9. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Any idea why I wouldn't be getting my email notifications when I'm tagged in a post or even when I comment on a thread and there are replys. I haven't changed any of my settings and I use to get these notifications. Now I only see things when I log onto the site :mad:

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if it has to do with the problems we had with spam?

Check out this Email Problems thread and maybe comment there for Robert

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  11. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Me too! I started this thread then I forgot about it ...sorry ‘bout that! :)
    The strips arrived but meter itself won’t be here til Wed. I see the “straw” thing IS large :( dang my math non skill. I’ll let you know how it goes. I seem to get way more blood than I need- using tiny 32g lancet and she still gives me huge drops...

12. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Bobbi, when we were starting out testing, was it you who chimed in about paw testing? I have tried to find the post, but failed. Nora is unable to test on Kali's ears and I suggested paw testing, from a video that another member sent me. I just wondered and if it was you if you could help with advising Nora?

13. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I didn’t make a video but I tried it. Gretchen’s ears output great blood so I haven’t had to use paw. When I tried it I just like hugged her...

14. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.