trying to adjust feeding amounts, long

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha is overweight. While I hate to admit it, it's true. She probably weighs around 13.5-14lbs (we haven't weighed her in awhile) but she should probably weigh closer to 11-12lbs (if not less). How do you know for sure? I don't want to take her to the vet just for the vet to tell us what she should weigh. We researched it online and it said basically you should be able to feel each rib without seeing each rib. Hmmm ... so anyways, we have decided that mocha needs to lose weight.

Right now this is how her feeding schedule goes (unless she is low when all we do is stuff her with MC food)

Food: Walmart brand Special kitty Turkey & Giblets Dinner
    can size: 5.5oz (janet and binkys chart is for 3.0oz can sizes)
    Protein Fat Carbs Fiber (g) Phosph (mg) Calories per can Date
    39 58 3 0.3 379 97 5/06

8 a.m. 1/4 can for breakfast (usually eats all but a few crumbs)
    12 p.m. 1/8 can for lunch (usually eats all but a few crumbs)
    4 p.m. 1/8 can for snack (usually eats all but a few crumbs)
    8 p.m. 1/4 can for dinner (usually eats all but a few crumbs)
    11 p.m. HAD been getting 1/4 can in first spot in autofeeder, but cut back to 1/8 can
    12:30 a.m. 1/8 can (autofeeder, eats all)
    2 a.m. 1/8 can (autofeeder, eats all)
    3:30 a.m. 1/8 can (autofeeder, eats all)
    5 a.m. 1/8 can (autofeeder, eats all)
    8 a.m. 1/4 can for breakfast (usually eats all but a few crumbs)

I'm not real sure why we load her up with food at night. Other then that is pretty much what her schedule was during the day until I started only feeding her at +4 and +8. Should we do the same thing at night? I read that cats should have 15 calories per pound of ideal body weight? So say mocha SHOULD weigh 11 pounds, that means she should have 165 calories a day? Whats the best way to divide that up during the day? Should we only feed her at night at +4 and +8 like during the day? Is it ok to just cut back on her food right away, or should I slowly decrease the amount of food for her?

Sorry for all the questions and how long this post is!

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I am in the exact same boat as you! Bandit is 14 lbs when he should be 11 or 12, and the vet said he needed to lose a little weight. So I had to do some research, and I'd be happy to share my results. :)

According to Dr. Lisa's site, daily caloric intake for your cat should be [ideal body weight] x 13.6 + 70. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity#How_Much_Do_I_Feed

There's 177.83 calories in a 5.5. oz can of special kitty turkey and giblets. Here's the calories Mocha would need per day to get down to these weights:

11bs: 219.6 cal. or about 1 1/4 cans
    12lbs: 233.2 cal. or about 1 1/3 cans
    13lbs: 253 cal. or about 1 1/2 cans

Start by reducing to 1 1/2 cans a day (from what I'm seeing you're feeding 1 3/4 cans right now). After 2-3 weeks, move that down to 1 1/3, and so on until Mocha is at her ideal weight.

Also, I feed mine only 4 times a day. Is there a reason you're feeding so frequently? I upped it to 4 times because I wanted to make sure Bandit had food with both his shots and when his insulin was peaking (because I can't be home during the day to test him), and because my other cat needs to eat that often. I think I would definitely cut back the frequency a bit, but make sure you do that gradually, too.

Good Luck! I hope both Bandit and Mocha get back into shape. :)

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Julia, thank you so much for sharing your information! You made it very clear and easy to understand, which I REALLY appreciate! We were feeding her so often because we had read on here that small frequent meals are best for a diabetic cat, but as long as we have been doing that, we haven't seen significant number changes so maybe it is time to try and switch things up again. I have cut back during the day and only feed twice in between shot times but for some reason at night she gets fed about every 2 1/2 hours which might be to much for her.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you could cut back to 4 times a day and be just fine. I like to feed full meals at 7am/7pm (shot time!) and then snacks of about half that at 1pm/1am (peak time). I would cut back slow, though...maybe go to 6 times for a week or so and then 4? If it were me, I'd do (assuming Mocha gets her shots at 8am/8pm?):

8am: 1/4
    12pm: 1/4
    4pm: 1/4
    8pm: 1/4
    12am: 1/4
    4am: 1/4

and then move it to:

8am: 1/2
    2pm: 1/4
    8pm: 1/2
    2am: 1/4

It will be way easier for you to figure out food reductions with only 4 feedings, I think. But let's see how Mocha takes to it, first.

Please keep me updated on Mocha's progress, if you don't mind. I'd like to know how she makes out. She's such a pretty cat! I think Bandit might have been nosing around the computer when her picture was up ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.