? Trying to find ideal amount of canned food...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KenP, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenP

KenP Member

Currently feeding 1/2 can 5.5oz Authority and it's really helping stabilize her BG! Hasn't been over 200 in weeks, taking 2 readings a day at AMPS and PMPS. Problem is she's constantly hungry and currently weighs about 7.2 lbs. Her normal weight is 8 lbs. I'm thinking to increase the amount of food per day, which will make portioning of course a bit more challenging. How much more do you recommend? Is there any formula to calculate that...or is it just experimentation? I've thought about going up to 2/3 can 2x/day, which would be adding 1/3 can total per day...which is a 33% increase. But I only want her to increase her current bodyweight by 11% (.8 lbs/7.2 lbs). I'm also worried that increasing her food intake may increase her BG...thoughts? Thanks for your input! :)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb is one 5.5 oz or two 3 oz cans per day for 8-10 lb cat. There is no exact formula since cats are different.
    I would try 1/4 to 1/3 more or a 5.5 oz can twice daily. Then weigh Ginger weekly and see if amount fed should be increased, decreased or maintained. Make sure you weigh the same time each day

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

The increase food intake should not have a major increase on the BG. Right now, her body is still not processing food properly and that is why she is hungry. Another option is to add an extra feeding during the day. If you are not home, you could use an automatic feeder to keep her food fresh.

4. KenP

KenP Member

You're recommending doubling her food to 2 5.5 oz cans per day? Surely, that's far too much. I've never used canned food before, so I don't know what is the right amount to keep her weight at 8 lbs. Perhaps her body is able to process food correctly, and 1 5.5 oz can is not enough...but I'm sure 2 cans would be far too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.