Trying to get regulated!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Giomax, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Hello!

Max is a 13 y/o boy who was just diagnosed with diabetes in October. I'm having some difficulties getting him regulated on Lantus, so thought I'd join this forum for some support.

Thanks guys!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help. :)

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Max. Gosh, he's a sweetie! I'm so glad you found FDMB and can take advantage of the information, advice and support you will find here.
    It would be very helpful if you would create a signature that will display with each of your posts and provide Max's pertinent information right away. Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    You didn't mention if you were home testing, and it is one of the best tools you have to see how the insulin is working for Max, and get him regulated. If you are, we have a spreadsheet that we use to track the insulin shot times/dosage, as well as the BG tests you get. Advising members can view this important information to see trends and patterns, then make recommendations.
    If you aren't home testing yet, we can help you with that. Let us know about the testing, so you can get a link to getting the spreadsheet going.
    Best wishes going forward! :cat:

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Max!

Everyone here is very helpful and there is a lot of great info and support.

Check out the Lantus board too.

5. Giomax

Giomax Member

I would really like to start home testing! Please give me some information on that. I was at the vet's today for a BG check and he said a "spot check" (prick of the ear) wouldn't give him very accurate information, so he did another fructosamine test and I'll have the results on Wednesday. Maybe a "spot check" at the vet won't be accurate, but I bet frequent home testing would be! Currently I'm shooting blind (3 units twice a day) on my vet's instruction and it makes me nervous.

(I'll get a signature up soon!)

6. Idjit's mom

Yes, home testing is the way to go. Visits to the vet can raise blood sugar, and the fructosamine is a measurement of BG over a period of time, not what's happening "right now". It saves you some bucks at the vet also, because you are not paying for office visits and tests that you may not need right now.
    Shooting blind can be a dangerous situation, (and 3 Units twice a day is a lot) we advise testing before every shot to ensure that it's safe to do so and not taking the chance of putting Max into a hypo event. I know, my vet had me doing the same. Not good. We are invested in helping you learn how to keep Max safe and manage his diabetes.
    First, I would advise you to revisit the Home page and read the "Getting Started" and the "Education" sections on the right side of the page. I know you already know some about treating feline diabetes, but this info is a great beginning primer, and there is a section on home testing also.
    Start a thread on the Main Health forum, so more members can meet you and offer some input HERE
    More members watch that forum to be available to people and kitties who have questions and need help.
    You are in the right place, you will be provided with more information, it's a bit of a steep learning curve, but I think you will be great because you care about Max.

7. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry, I had posted pretty much the same response as you have here and then I saw yours so deleted my post. It must be past my bedtime.

8. Idjit's mom

You sure don't have to delete a post because it reflects the same information. You are so good to greet a newcomer and provide info and reassurance. I know I appreciated every person that responded to me when I was starting out and didn't know anything except that Idjit was diabetic! You have your unique perspective, you are very new also, and surely can provide support to any of us, old or new! :bighug::):bighug:

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Have a look at this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

Post any/all questions on the main health forum. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.